Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Morbid4ever
Assassin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:27 am 

Hey,

This is Jim from Morbid Saint again.
Sorry I've been gone so long but things have been very busy for me lately.
Just thought I would let anyone that is interested know that Relapse will be re-releasing Spectrum with some possible never before heard bonus tracks. I'll try to keep you updated as we work out the details.

Thanks!!!!!!

Jim

Last edited by Morbid4ever on Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deucalion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:30 am 

I talked to you last year. I think you'll find lots of us here will be quite excited to hear these tracks.

How's Hallowcore?

Morbid4ever
Assassin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:34 am 

Deucalion wrote:
I talked to you last year. I think you'll find lots of us here will be quite excited to hear these tracks.

How's Hallowcore?

Hallowcore was really just a way for us to do our thing again after all these years, we didn't really try to make anything of it. We do have some Morbid Saint plans in the works but too early for me to say anything, SORRY!!!!

Thanks!!!!!

Jim

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:37 am 

Hey Jim, as a huge fan of Spectrum of Death I really look forward to hearing new material from you guys.

Hope all is well with you and the other guys from Morbid Saint!!!

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:38 am 

Morbid4ever wrote:
Hey,

This is Jim from Morbid Saint again.
Sorry I've been gone so long but things have been very busy for me lately.
Just thought I would let anyone that is interested know that Relapse will be re-releasing Spectrum with some possible never before heard bonus tracks. I'll try to keep you updated as we work out the details.

Thanks!!!!!!

Jim

Sounds great! It's one of those few classic eighties thrash albums of which I still don't own an official copy.
Keep us posted!

MuffinMan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:39 am 

Awesome! Spectrum of Death is really, really great! Nice there will be a re-release.

Good luck!

VictimsOfDeception
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:47 am 

Another re-release? Awesome.

Morbid4ever
Assassin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:57 am 

VictimsOfDeception wrote:

Yes another re-release!!!!!!!

I wish it could all be new but like I said there will be at least two brand new 2010 songs that no one has ever heard.

Thanks!!!!!!

Jim

VictimsOfDeception
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:58 am 

Put a new one out within two years, please. :lol:

HeavyMetalSteve
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:00 am 

Morbid4ever wrote:

I wish it could all be new but like I said there will be at least two brand new 2010 songs that no one has ever heard.

Thanks!!!!!!

Jim

The songs are new? This is awesome, I can't fucking wait. I love Morbid Saint and I still don't have an official copy of Spectrum Of Death. My best friend is also a huge fan and his main band is heavily influenced by Morbid Saint.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio 1942-2010
http://www.myspace.com/heavymetalsteve666

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:06 am 

Morbid4ever wrote:

Thanks!!!!!!

Jim

Good to hear from you again Jim, this is great news, looking forward to hearing these new tracks, does this mean Morbid Saint are def active again?

VictimsOfDeception
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:23 am 

LOCK 'EM UP! VERY TIGHT!

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:25 am 

My favourite Spectrum of Death moment is the drumming intro to Crying for Death... fucking awesome, almost gives me a boner every time I hear it.

DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:47 am 

Morbid4ever wrote:
We do have some Morbid Saint plans

I came.

ScourgeOfDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:03 am 

Well this is big. Let me rephrase that THIS IS FUCKIN HUGE.

As a massive Morbid Saint fanboy who thinks that Spectrum of Death is the greatest thrash album of all time, this news has plastered a stupid grin on my face. I doubt if it will be going anytime soon.

Any chance of a Destruction System rerelease Jim. I am sure everyone here will love to see that and it will be brilliant if you people could put an album out in near future.

Now allow me. I must blast Spectrum of Death at full volume right now.

Deucalion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:30 am 

ScourgeOfDeath wrote:
Any chance of a Destruction System rerelease Jim. I am sure everyone here will love to see that and it will be brilliant if you people could put an album out in near future.

Here's what Jim said last time about Destruction System...

Jim wrote:
"We did talk some years back about trying to release DS on our own but the masters are gone. Everything back then was on tape and we don’t know where they are, which really sucks
The only way would be to re-record it all and that would be awesome if it could happen.
We actually had five more songs for that album and but never got recorded, although I do have copies of them being played at practice."

Edit: I edited this post a couple times to quote with the "Quote" function.

Last edited by Deucalion on Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
NARAKU666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:31 am 

As a mexican metalhead i feel kinda proud to know that a mexican label released this small thrash gem, id like to know how these guys contacted u?, i mean mexico's economic, musical and cultural situation was really fucked up back then.

glad to hear that your band is still alive (in some sort of way), keep the good news coming mr. jim.

https://www.facebook.com/KothRising

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:10 am 

ScourgeOfDeath wrote:
Well this is big. Let me rephrase that THIS IS FUCKIN HUGE.

As a massive Morbid Saint fanboy who thinks that Spectrum of Death is the greatest thrash album of all time, this news has plastered a stupid grin on my face. I doubt if it will be going anytime soon.

Now allow me. I must blast Spectrum of Death at full volume right now.

I think I was one of the lucky ones that got the Destruction Syetem/Spectrum of Death cd through Keltic Records, I believe it was removed from sales shortly after release due to legal issue's, I might be wrong though, but Destruction System is a great cd also, overlooked imo, both albums came in the one jewel case.

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:42 am 

Whoa whoa whoa no fair! I went out and got the Power Play reissue of Spectrum of Death, and now you're re-releasing it through Relapse... with new material??!

Jim, you're busting my balls here! See, I'm gonna want those bonus tracks, but I can't afford to keep buying the album. You've given me quite the dilemma here.

Also, you guys SHOULD re-record Destruction System. That album needs a real release! Even if you don't write a new album (but that would be amazing too), at least give us that much!

ScourgeOfDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:52 am 

Destruction System is amazing but it is basically crippled by the atrocious production and the mixing. If it is somehow redone with the same energy and madness then it can potentially become as nerve wrecking and gut busting as Spectrum of Death.

Although it is of no consequence but I ll add that I was initially thinking of having SpectrumOfDeath as my username here but decided it that it showed a lack of originality on my part.

RZris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:17 am 

fuck and i was just listening to "Halls of Terror" earlier, weird but awesome coincidence to read this

if you do re-record Destruction System, i'll probably be one of the few to say this but you should keep it pretty much the same. i love the sound of that album, it's so violent-so fitting. all i'd really want is some more bass action, all i feel would add to it. but this is just one random guys opinion, i don't doubt whatever you guys do i'll enjoy

and this re-release is some of the sweetest news i've heard in a long time, i will definitely be picking this up i eagerly await to hear these new songs

pmmassacre
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:29 am 

this is awesome news

balkonas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:03 am 

Quote:
We do have some Morbid Saint plans in the works but too early for me to say anything, SORRY!!!!

Thanks!!!!!

Jim

Does this mean a possible reunion? :eek:

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:35 am 

Fuck yea! My favourite thrash band coming out with new stuff has just made my day! I luckily have aquired a copy of the album, but it looks like I'll have to get it again if there will be bonus material. I can't wait!

DoomDoll
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 am 

AWESOME!

OlioTheSmall
Handsome (marsupial) Beast

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:25 am 

I don't suppose there are any plans to give Destruciton System a proper release with quality sound? Or is something like that impossible? I have no idea how production/mastering/etc works, so forgive my ignorance.

Edit: :durr: Why didn't I look a few posts up?

- Tim Minchin

Last edited by OlioTheSmall on Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter31095Metalhead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:31 am 

Now if only there was a Dark Angel reunion and they both went out on tour... and passed through Brazil... Oh that would be great... But I'm just dreaming here.

I'm certainly going to get the reissue of Spectrum Of Death!

john1111
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:48 am 

That's some of the best news I've heard in a while! I recently looked on amazon maketplace for a copy of Spectrum of Death and could only find one that was being sold for £175!

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:37 pm 

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES, and I'll save you all from the in-depth description of what is going on in my pants right now. Relapse is starting to get back on my good side.

Crepuscular
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:40 pm 

That sounds awesome! I can't wait. :). As I've said before Spectrum of Death is great so I'll be looking forward to new tracks.

HumanWaste5150
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:00 pm 

Dragunov wrote:
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES, and I'll save you all from the in-depth description of what is going on in my pants right now. Relapse is starting to get back on my good side.

Yeah, Relapse is really going all out with these classic re-issues! Can't wait to hear the two new songs!
We fought to the last breath
Wonder if we will shake hands
Beyond the gates of death

~Guest 62838
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:09 pm 

No offense, but this reissue sounds like a cash-grab. I mean, it was reissued last year and the new material can just be released as its own release (if there's a sufficient amount). If it's going to be reissued again, it should at least retain the original production...I hate the remaster job on the Power Play reissue. It's been cleaned up too much and lost its rawness.

EDIT: I retract the above statement. I just looked at Power Play's website and apparently copies of the reissue are nearly sold out...and I don't think they'll be printing more. At least a label like Relapse will be able to keep this album in good circulation (as it deserves to be). Hopefully though, the production of the pre-PPR versions will be retained.

Last edited by ~Guest 62838 on Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dametalone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:14 pm 

hi jim. As a Wisconsin resident myself, im proud to be from around the same area where you guys started (live aroumd Milwaukee). Its a shame nobody around here even mentions you guys. Actually, its quite embarrassing.

However, i did hear an interesting story. A friend of mine was shopping at a store called Rushmore Records (i think around Bayview WI) and the owner said back in the day when Spectrum of Death came out, you guys left him a bunch of copies on cassette to basically give away and nobody wanted it!!!!! Its sort of funny now looking on ebay to see how much your stuff goes for now adays

in_human_form
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:20 pm 

If SoD is actually re-released I am definitely picking it up ASAP.

Necropleasurist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:39 pm 

Holy. Fucking. SHIT.

What?!?! I will finally be able to have my OWN copy of Spectrum?! WITH new songs?

Jim. You are my hero. A young'un like me could only dream of having such a masterpiece. Now.. this young'un can fulfill his dreams.

I think my pants need to be changed. For more then one reason. This is the greatest news I've heard, EVER. I knew this new decade would come with some great surprises...

Morbid4ever
Assassin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:49 pm 

Viral wrote:
No offense, but this reissue sounds like a cash-grab. I mean, it was reissued last year and the new material can just be released as its own release (if there's a sufficient amount). If it's going to be reissued again, it should at least retain the original production...I hate the remaster job on the Power Play reissue. It's been cleaned up too much and lost its rawness.

I do agree with you that if we had enough material it should be released on it's own, unfortunately we don't. This is our only means of getting a few new songs to you guys at this time, maybe that will change some day but not right now.
This has never been about money for us and it never will. The reason we allow these re-releases is the fact that everytime a new label releases it they limit the number of copies they will do. We hope that with another re-release it will make SOD more accessible to more people.
As for how it will sound, that will be addressed with Relapse.
I myself would also like them to leave it alone, but there is more to it than just what we want. There are limits as to what you can and can't do without having the original master tapes. The new songs will be just that, new. Things have changed since SOD was first recorded, recording equipment and our own rigs have changed. We hope we can capture the music the way Eric did on SOD and will try our hardest to do so. One thing about the new songs, we may be older but we're not slower.

Thanks!!!!!

Jim

Morbid4ever
Assassin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:57 pm 

dametalone wrote:
hi jim. As a Wisconsin resident myself, im proud to be from around the same area where you guys started (live aroumd Milwaukee). Its a shame nobody around here even mentions you guys. Actually, its quite embarrassing.

However, i did hear an interesting story. A friend of mine was shopping at a store called Rushmore Records (i think around Bayview WI) and the owner said back in the day when Spectrum of Death came out, you guys left him a bunch of copies on cassette to basically give away and nobody wanted it!!!!! Its sort of funny now looking on ebay to see how much your stuff goes for now adays

Not many people around Wisconsin remember us, not a big thrash state I guess. Whenever we would get copies we would always give them away or at least try, I should have saved some.

Thanks!!!!

Jim

~Guest 62838
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:01 pm 

Jim, refer to my initial post again for the additional comment I've added (again, sorry for jumping to that conclusion). Also, you may view the production of the original inferior to what's been done to it nowadays, but keep in mind some of the best albums were made under those circumstances...I mean, look at the early black metal scene for instance. The bands started out with little money and very limited recording capabilities which resulted in that low-fi sound it's known for (initially done undeliberately)...and what happened? It got big and became a trademark sound that identified an entire subgenre. Some mistakes make for the best results. But like you said, some of these things are beyond a person's control.

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:02 pm 

Morbid4ever wrote:
One thing about the new songs, we may be older but we're not slower.
Jim

As if we would have expected two funeral doom-paced thrash songs from you guys.

Looks like I'll have two copies of Spectrum sitting on my shelf in the near future. Maybe you can toss on a bonus dvd with the disc of bootleg footage from back in the day? I am sure you have some of that shit laying around. I've got no problem buying the disc again but adding some of that on there, that would be awesome.

Oh and Jim, you don't have to say THANKS!!!! -JIM after every post. We know it's you. :lol:

Last edited by orionmetalhead on Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deucalion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:05 pm 

Morbid4ever wrote:
One thing about the new songs, we may be older but we're not slower.

Here's a quote from you last time:

Jim wrote:
We play much faster today than we did back then but our styles have changed somewhat. We still play very much the same way, just more refined I guess.

Will the new songs be faster/contain faster sections (faster solos maybe?) than what you guys did back on the older material?

Thanks for coming to the forum; it's always appreciated.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next