Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:08 am 

It all started with Manowar.

I loaded up Hail to England on my phone's MP3 player, and listened to it. Again and again and again. And again. Then, I started to delve deeper into Manilla Road at work, since I really enjoyed Gates of Fire - however, it was at this point I was introduced to the magnum opus which is Crystal Logic in all her glory, with songs like 'Necropolis' and 'Dreams Of Eschaton'. Then YouTube rec'd me Brocas Helm, which I quite enjoyed. After this, I started to reinvigorate my interest in Candlemass' newer works, which are a fusion of epic doom/trad heavy metal, and finally sprucing up my playlist with some much needed Iron Maiden. Just minutes ago, I was introduced to a minor (but AWESOME) band named Isen Torr, which I REALLY liked.

SO! That all said, what other bands do I HAVE to be looking at for some glorious epic traditional heavy metal?!?!?! I REALLY am loving this kick I am on - a lot of this really reminds me of days spent playing D&D when I was younger, which is never a bad thing :)

AND PLEASE! **ONLY** bands which are pure heavy metal - it can be doomy, or speed metally, or mix in a bit of power metal or thrash, but I am really just looking for the "pure" stuff, in the vein of the bands I outlined above, thanks. Bands which mix in folk elements would be welcome, if done so tastefully (ala the Lord Weird Slough Feg, but less power metally and more just trad heavy metal).

Any and all feedback much appreciated.

----------------
Now playing: Amon Amarth - God, His Son and Holy Whore

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:03 am 

If you're into Manilla Road and you like Sabbath then you would probably really dig Cirith Ungol. Any of the first three albums will set you on the right course. The vocals are even more abrasive than Sheltons on first listen, but I'm sure that you'll manage to cope.

Another band that I got put onto around the same time as Manilla Road would be Dark Quarterer. They do have some "prog" leanings, as I'm sure you'll soon hear, but there is definitely no shortage of epic fucking heavy metal. I've only heard the first and last releases, so I can't really comment on a lot of their material, but the first album comes HIGHLY recommended. The newest one was very enjoyable in places, and then far too meandering in others.

For something a little newer (but still old school at heart!) you could look into Ironsword. They're pretty much a straight up Manilla Road worship band. Obviously the solos and the vocals aren't quite as legendary, but the main man can write some damn strong riffs, and they sound very, very true to these ears.

I have the distinct feeling there are some other entirely obvious bands that I should be mentioning but I'm drawing a blank. I will say this though, those dudes in the heavy metal rec. thread know their shit. You could probably get some good stuff if you made a condensed version of the OP there. You could also find some stuff if you read through the description of albums for sale on Shadow Kingdoms records. They have a lot of material suggested for Manilla Road fans.

Lightning strikes, Thor's hammer
Flaming metal system!

MaelstromMind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:53 am 

Omen, Pharaoh, Doomsword, Virgin Steele, Crescent Shield, pre night at the opera Blind Gaurdian and the early albums from Queensryche, Arch- era Fates Warning, the first two by Crimson Glory.

Theres a pretty cool Greek band called Battleroar who have a Mark Shelton connection.

For stuff in the vein of Candlemass i recommend Solstice(UK),Solitude Aeturnus and Scald from Russia.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:58 am 

Most of my recommendations have been taken already, but I'll second Doomsword, Omen, Blind Guardian, Fates Warning, Battleroar, Solstice (YES) Ironsword, and actually most of the stuff already mentioned.

I'm going to add:

Atlantean Kodex (Very tough to find, but if you seek out their "Pnatonik Demos" on Soulseek or get it on vinyl, you'll be floored)
Gates of Slumber (Epic Doomy stuff, cool sword and sorcery lyrics)
Assedium (Great epic traditional metal with nice production, good vocals and cool songwriting)
Enchanter (Heavy metal with some US-power influences)
Holy Martyr (Epic greek metal, doomy but extremely vast sounding, lyrics about Spartan warfare)
Icy Steel (More doomy epic metal)
Hyborian Steel (Barbaric epic heavy metal, a load of fun)
Martiria (Italy's answer to Manilla Road almost)

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:57 pm 

There are a lot of good recs already in here, but I'll throw out Adramelch, who play a very epic and obscure style in the vein of the aforementioned Fates Warning and Dark Quarterer, and Isen Torr, who are deceitful bastards who only released a two track EP so far - but it's awesome.

And check out Twisted Tower Dire, too, especially Crest of the Martyrs. Epic, booming, crunchy and fun as hell.

MaelstromMind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:58 pm 

I neglected to mention Warlord(US), one of the early pioneers of the epic/power style who debuted in '83 with the "Deliver Us" e.p. The band wasn't very prolific and a lot of their material was a bit light weight, but the songs "Lucifer's Hammer", "Child of the Damned" and the King Diamond-esque "Mrs. Victoria" are worth checking out.

As I was writing this I remembered the band Medieval Steel, another early U.s. power metal act who recently had their material re-released.Their style was similar to Omen but not as aggressive.

Thor_Evlor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:18 pm 

Check out The Gates of Slumber "Conquest", Grand Magus "Wolf's Return" and "Iron Will"...might dig Bible of the Devil "Freedom Metal", it's very old-school Maiden/Angel Witch worship at it's finest.

Gorgo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:45 pm 

Try out Witchfinder General, doom metal in the vein of Black Sabbath. Look up the song "Burning a Sinner", killer one.

http://www.myspace.com/onrust1
"Acoustic music"

MetalRulesTheNight
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:11 pm 

MaelstromMind wrote:
Scald from Russia.

definitely check them man!! this band is absolutely FANTASTIC!

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:12 pm 

Crystal Viper should be right up your alley.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:35 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
There are a lot of good recs already in here, but I'll throw out Adramelch
Aw fuck, I knew I was forgetting something. The Warlord Rec is a good one, too.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:42 am 

They can be very much doom at times, but if you like Isen Torr so much, you should check out Solstice (UK)'s second album New Dark Age.

Nemodus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:56 am 

Omen, Liege Lord, Heavy Load, Cirith Ungol, Heathen's Rage, Dark Age, Black Knight, Satan (uk), Warlord (us), Helstar.

AppleSlayer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:33 pm 

I can't believe no one said the classic From The Fjords from the band Legend (US). This is pure Epic Heavy/Traditional Metal from 1979 and for me, the song The Confrontation it's just one of the best song ever.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:45 pm 

MacMoney wrote:
They can be very much doom at times, but if you like Isen Torr so much, you should check out Solstice (UK)'s second album New Dark Age.
One of my favorite albums ever, I'll second that one for sure!

Reply to topic