Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:57 am 

Apparently Varg has written 9 songs for a new Burzum album, and if we're to believe him, they're all metal. Now he's going to get them into shape and then start recording. Check both articles - first for the interview, second for the photos.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe ... mID=123193
http://www.dagbladet.no/2009/07/04/maga ... m/7051663/

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:00 am 

this got posted a few days ago- I'm surprised you missed it.

Great news, anyway. If it's like Filosofem or hvit lyset tar oss but minus the shitty ambient then we there could be a seriously rad album coming our way.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Blackend
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:31 am 

In relation to the article, it blows that he wants to put this whole thing behind him and there is going to be a movie about him coming out soon that could bomb the whole genre. There needs to be more discussion about this issue. As for the album, it will probably be fantastic due the amount of emotional buildup from his sentence.

Last edited by Blackend on Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:39 am 

caspian wrote:

I had some troubles with my Internet connection last weekend.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:49 am 

I thought his last dark ambient album, Hliðskjálf, showed that he was capable of writing good music while in prison. However, it's been 11 years since he displayed any talent and I'm not quite sure if this next release will be good.

VRR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:09 am 

Adriankat wrote:
I thought his last dark ambient album, Hliðskjálf, showed that he was capable of writing good music while in prison. However, it's been 11 years since he displayed any talent and I'm not quite sure if this next release will be good.

That's eleven years of coming up with killer riffs though. :D

What type of newspaper is dagbladet? Is it a trashy tabloid or a normal daily newspaper? It seems that they are the only people who Vikernes talks to.

~Guest 193166
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:21 am 

I just read up on it from Wikipedia and it said it is expected to be released in 2010. I hope the wait will be worth it.

Tornado
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:26 am 

Well, Jon Nodtveidt had 8 years to come up with something special for the next Dissection album. Some would say he managed it, others would say he should have had another 8 years to come up with something worthy of the Dissection name. I actually quite liked 'Reinkaos'. I thought it had some great tracks and some not so great tracks. Although it was nothing compared to the previous 2 albums.
So, although Varg has had plenty of time to come up with something good, there's no guarantee that he will. I do hope so though.

Norrmania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:27 am 

Blackend wrote:
In relation to the article, it blows that he wants to put this whole thing behind him and there is going to be a movie about him coming out soon that could bomb the whole genre. There needs to be more discussion about this issue.

Why does there need to be more discussion? As others have suggested before, ignore the movie. Honestly at this rate its certain fans freaking out about it that's going to give it more publicity rather than whatever Twilight fangirls may or may not flock to it. And you'd think after 16 years of prison the man wouldn't have to explain himself over wanting to put the past behind him.

Stormalv
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:57 am 

VRR wrote:
Adriankat wrote:

What type of newspaper is dagbladet? Is it a trashy tabloid or a normal daily newspaper? It seems that they are the only people who Vikernes talks to.

I noticed that too, perhaps he prefers that newspaper above other. It's a serious daily newspaper, about the second biggest in the country, but like all the others they do throw in some celebrity and soccer cases now and then. :ugh:

CarpathianNapalm
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:56 am 

caspian wrote:

Great news, anyway. If it's like Filosofem or hvit lyset tar oss but minus the shitty ambient then we there could be a seriously rad album coming our way.

Shitty ambient? Thats part of what makes those albums so great, and contributes to the atmosphere.

Blackend
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:01 pm 

Norrmania wrote:
Blackend wrote:
In relation to the article, it blows that he wants to put this whole thing behind him and there is going to be a movie about him coming out soon that could bomb the whole genre. There needs to be more discussion about this issue.

Why does there need to be more discussion? As others have suggested before, ignore the movie. Honestly at this rate its certain fans freaking out about it that's going to give it more publicity rather than whatever Twilight fangirls may or may not flock to it. And you'd think after 16 years of prison the man wouldn't have to explain himself over wanting to put the past behind him.

I'm just being cautious, sorry man.

Cinerary
Fuckin' killed a guy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:11 pm 

Blackend wrote:
In relation to the article, it blows that he wants to put this whole thing behind him and there is going to be a movie about him coming out soon that could bomb the whole genre. There needs to be more discussion about this issue. As for the album, it will probably be fantastic due the amount of emotional buildup from his sentence.

No. It needs to be discussed less. Very, very less. The movie is still in pre-production. When it is released it won't change the albums that were already released.

Just because every Linkin Park fan knows about Dragonforce doesn't stop "Sonic Firestorm" from being a good album. Same shit here.

on the topic at hand, I can't wait for another "metal" Burzum album. Plus, I'd love it if he'd go back and metalize his MiDI album as well. As I happen to love "Dauði Baldrs" even in it's current form, so I'd love a re-release of that.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:49 pm 

I just found the tracklisting!

1) White Wolves Of Winter
2) The Pale Power of Wotan
3) By The White of my Skin
4) White is the Winter Sky
5) As White as the North Waves
6) The Last of the White Warriors
7) Black Under White
8) The Triumph of the White Hand
9) War Part II

takar_blackangel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:08 pm 

Razakel wrote:

7) Black Under White
9) War Part II

Source?

ForNaught
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:11 pm 

Shitty joke.

RegularK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:19 pm 

Cinerary wrote:
on the topic at hand, I can't wait for another "metal" Burzum album. Plus, I'd love it if he'd go back and metalize his MiDI album as well. As I happen to love "Dauði Baldrs" even in it's current form, so I'd love a re-release of that.

He's said in the past that a lot of those parts were originally written on guitar so I wouldn't be too surprised if bits and pieces of those songs show up on the new album. I doubt he'd do like a complete metal re-release of Daudi Baldrs though.

Olias
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:16 pm 

caspian wrote:

I actually liked the ambient. But I agree, a return to classic Burzum would kick ass.

Olias
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:19 pm 

VRR wrote:
Adriankat wrote:

Yeah, but he also didn't play guitar for quite a bit of it because he considered a negro instrument.

Thor_Evlor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:33 pm 

Olias wrote:
Yeah, but he also didn't play guitar for quite a bit of it because he considered a negro instrument.

No; he distanced himself from black metal because it's a bastardized version of rock and roll which is a bastardized version of blues which is "negro music" - he recorded those last two LP's on keyboard because that was the only instrument he was allowed access to in prison.

I find it odd he's willing to make a metal record after wanting nothing to do with the scene; but this wouldn't be the first time he (or anyone else for that matter) contradicted themselves over the years. Despite my opinions of the man I dig his music, I'm curious to see what he can create.

screamingstatue
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:53 pm 

My internet connection has been down as well so this is the first I've heard of it, absolutely fantastic news, and I've a sneaky feeling it'll be an excellent album...

HexagonSunn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:20 pm 

Did anyone else laugh about how mentioned he would "go to the police" if someone threatened his life in the future? What a good varg. ;)

Personally, I think Burzum had about 5 good songs; the rest were shite, and I can't see much changing. Though Stemn Fra Tranet is great and Gerbrelkheittef (you know what I mean...)

Seriusly, I couldn't get less excited- though I will most surely download the album when its released.

Noktorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:24 pm 

I have a good feeling about this, unlike most metal comeback albums.

Member #1 of Zarach 'Baal' Tharagh Crew - Fuck off the musical black metal!

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:28 pm 

takar_blackangel wrote:
Razakel wrote:

7) Black Under White
9) War Part II

Source?

Hahahaha... haha... hah.

Farromir
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:47 pm 

takar_blackangel wrote:
Razakel wrote:

7) Black Under White
9) War Part II

Source?

I lol'd.

kramer820
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:26 pm 

I hope for Varg´s sake this album will fuck shit up, especially the whole 'depressive' black metal genre, which took his ideas and destroyed them completely. And some ambient influences are okay, i liked his last two releases.

DaBuddha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:46 pm 

I like the ambient songs included on Hvis... and Filosofem. I'm hoping for a cross between the two albums.
We spread our wings and fly away

Just tell Nocturno Culto you were too busy getting stoned to burn down churches, he'll understand.
Darkthrone - My Anti-Drug

MaDTransilvanian
Caravan Beyond Redemption

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:23 am 

kramer820 wrote:
I hope for Varg´s sake this album will fuck shit up, especially the whole 'depressive' black metal genre, which took his ideas and destroyed them completely.

Well, bands like Lunar Aurora and Gris can actually write awesome depressive black metal.

I eagerly await this album. I'm sure it'll be good, after all this is Varg. If he was able to make such awesome music during the 90's I'm sure he can do it again.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:39 am 

HexagonSunn wrote:
Personally, I think Burzum had about 5 good songs; the rest were shite, and I can't see much changing. Though Stemn Fra Tranet is great and Gerbrelkheittef (you know what I mean...)

Stemman Fra Tarnet? Did you purposefully pick the worst Burzum song?

Jarnroth
hurr hurr i post whiel drunk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:08 am 

Nolan_B wrote:
HexagonSunn wrote:

Stemman Fra Tarnet? Did you purposefully pick the worst Burzum song?

Hmm? I think it's a damn good one myself, though I hold about every song from the debut and Aske in high regard. Maybe "War" less so...

http://www.last.fm/user/Jarnroth/

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:56 am 

Let's hope Varg will invite Fenriz and Nocturno Culto on drums and bass (pun intended) and together they'll record a kickass heavy metal/punk album.

Darkarbiter
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:11 am 

Olias wrote:
caspian wrote:

I actually liked the ambient. But I agree, a return to classic Burzum would kick ass.

Basically, those albums are great for when I'm in a burzum mood... and for lack of better words, their 8/10 albums, but still his main albums are much more solid and I've love another... well any of them.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:42 am 

This is gonna be awesome! Filosofem is one of my all time favourites.

Baalazazel
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:00 am 

I wouldn't dare to doubt Varg at all. "Daudi Baldrs" was utter crap, but it's OK since he just wanted to test our sense of humor.

Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:20 am 

Thor_Evlor wrote:
I find it odd he's willing to make a metal record after wanting nothing to do with the scene; but this wouldn't be the first time he (or anyone else for that matter) contradicted themselves over the years. Despite my opinions of the man I dig his music, I'm curious to see what he can create.
I don't think he intentionally contradicted himself. I'm sure he just wants to make music like he used to. I'm sure he's had more than enough time to sit around and wish he could have an electric guitar or drumset to write music on. Hopefully he still has the ability to write good songs.

Anyone who doesn't like the sound of Filosofem needs to go back and listen to it again. I used to hate the production and the guitar tones, and especially the way the vocals sounded. Now, I really can't (and don't want to) imagine the album sounding anything different. Hopefully this album is a continuation of that sound, but we'll see. I had serious doubts he would do something again musically, even after he made hints at it. When I read that article, I wondered if these new songs will ever see the light of day, but when I saw the pictures of him playing the guitar, I started to have high hopes. I can't wait to hear this new record.

Milos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:31 am 

His last black metal album was recorded in March 1993, it is over 16 years ago. I hope next album will be worth of waiting.

LiveForDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:43 pm 

Razakel wrote:

7) Black Under White
9) War Part II

You forgot the bonus ambient track 10) Keep it White on the Right

TrueMetalWarrior
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:53 pm 

Cinerary wrote:
Just because every Linkin Park fan knows about Dragonforce doesn't stop "Sonic Firestorm" from being a good album. Same shit here.

Youre right, it doesnt. However there is a whole host of other reasons that stop it from being a good album. First and foremost is that its a Dragonforce album.

Anyway, yes, Varg is putting out a new album. 2010 eh? That the same year the movie comes out. Good timing Varg.

Cinerary
Fuckin' killed a guy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:05 pm 

TrueMetalWarrior wrote:
Cinerary wrote:

Youre right, it doesnt. However there is a whole host of other reasons that stop it from being a good album. First and foremost is that its a Dragonforce album.

I understand it's cool to hate on the DF. I think they're terrible, too.. but since when does that mean they can't actually put out a good album?

I can't stand Children of Bodom but that doesn't mean "Follow the Reaper" isn't a good album.

Karnstein_Records
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:07 pm 

Razakel wrote:

7) Black Under White
9) War Part II

Possibly the least funniest thing I've ever read.

Karnstein Records
www.karnsteinrecords.com

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next