Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
unclevladistav
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:19 pm 

"Revelations of the Black Flame" is on its way, anyone else excited? I really liked Beyond the Apocalypse, so I'm awaiting this.

Browsing the tracklist for the new album, I noticed one unusual song title..."Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun". Does it have anything to do with the Pink Floyd song of the same name?

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:23 pm 

unclevladistav wrote:
Browsing the tracklist for the new album, I noticed one unusual song title..."Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun". Does it have anything to do with the Pink Floyd song of the same name?

Has to be a cover. That's too much of a similarity to be a different song. Sounds pretty interesting to hear 1349 are doing it. Never really liked 1349 but I will check this out just to hear the PF cover.

unclevladistav
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:25 pm 

That's what I was guessing. It's way too similar to not be a cover, but it'll be interesting to hear their interpretation of it, it's definitely a weird but cool choice.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:26 pm 

I just read that Tom Warrior produced the new album.

Mezentus
Blood on my hands

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:27 pm 

Nolan_B wrote:

Very nice. Source?

And if 1349 is covering the PF song, then they beat us [my band Xorcist] to the chase. Damn.

Well fuck I wanna hear it now! I don't like 1349 too much, kinda generic, but it's worth a listen.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:59 pm 

I enjoyed Hellfire and liked the bits I heard from Beyond The Apocalypse, so I hope this one keeps up the tradition.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:19 am 

I though Liberation was absolutely murdered by an unnecessarily thin production. It wasn't lo-fi like the title EP, it sounded like it was produced in a good studio and was intentionally made to sound like shit. There are three main styles of "raw" production in my eyes... there's the Darkthrone/Mayhem "we don't have any money so we'll record this on an answering machine but it will still kick ass because our music is awesome and actually fits with the minimalism", the Slayer/Celtic Frost/nearlyeverythrashband "hmmm, this sounds pretty fucking awesome", and the St. Anger "let's make this sound like shit on purpose for some desperate attempt at underground validity". Liberation falls into the lattermost to me.

Beyond the Apocalypse and Hellfire, on the other hand, absolutely smoke face. It seems like the only huge differences between 1349 albums are the production values (which is why I dwell on it when it comes to this band), but their music has always been awesome to me. Can't wait for this new one.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:43 am 

I wonder if it will be FAST with Frost's TOTALLY AWESOME DRUM SKILLZ (sic).

Terrible band worth nobody's attention, which just reinforces my opinion that everybody sucks aside from myself and a select lot of others.

Hybrid_Killer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:23 am 

Bezerko wrote:

Terrible band worth nobody's attention, which just reinforces my opinion that everybody sucks aside from myself and a select lot of others.

Nice opinion you've got there.

I enjoyed Hellfire as I got into BM through Hellenic and other riff-heavier (for the lack of a better description) BM bands but I haven't heard any of their other stuff yet. Will give this a listen for sure when it comes out.

Knucklehead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:04 am 

Mezentus wrote:
Nolan_B wrote:

Very nice. Source?

Tom's blog, where he discusses recording with 1349.

The Revelations of the Black Flame E-card, which gives Warrior the producer credit.

He has also discussed his role as "producer" at the Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer forum, where he explained that has been hired to help them achieve a certain sound and believes that bands should largely be left alone during the creative process. Like Alibini, he shies away from the "producer" title.

Last edited by Knucklehead on Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:42 pm 

Bezerko wrote:

Okay, I'm kind of wondering what you're getting at here. Are you complaining that Frost blasts a lot? That's kind of a defining characteristic of black metal.... it's like saying "I wonder if the new Heaven and Hell will be EPIC with Dio's TOTALLY AWESOME VOICE"
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:03 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Bezerko wrote:

Okay, I'm kind of wondering what you're getting at here. Are you complaining that Frost blasts a lot? That's kind of a defining characteristic of black metal.... it's like saying "I wonder if the new Heaven and Hell will be EPIC with Dio's TOTALLY AWESOME VOICE"

Don't pay too much attention to everyone's best friend Berzerko. He's at least twice said he hates a certain band, only to later say that he never actually listened to them.
Death metal is eternal.

Mezentus
Blood on my hands

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:25 pm 

Knucklehead wrote:
Mezentus wrote:
Nolan_B wrote:

Very nice. Source?

Tom's blog, where he discusses recording with 1349.

The Revelations of the Black Flame E-card, which gives Warrior the producer credit.

He has also discussed his role as "producer" at the Triptykon/Celtic Frost/Hellhammer forum, where he explained that has been hired to help them achieve a certain sound and believes that bands should largely be left alone during the creative sound. Like Alibini, he shies away from the "producer" title.

Cool, thanks for the links. It's cool to hear Tom doing some good things with bands. I know Tom and 1349 are pretty cool with each other, as they have been on tour a year or two ago. I'm curious as to how this album will sound, compared to the first few with sounding like they were trying to become the new Satyricon, just more evil.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:19 pm 

Nolan_B wrote:
unclevladistav wrote:

Has to be a cover. That's too much of a similarity to be a different song. Sounds pretty interesting to hear 1349 are doing it. Never really liked 1349 but I will check this out just to hear the PF cover.

I still dig Hellfire though I have cooled off on it somewhat but Frost is far and away the main reason to check any and all 1349 at least once since he is the best drummer in black metal today.

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:23 pm 

Nolan_B wrote:
unclevladistav wrote:

Yeah that sounds interesting. I think Voivod is the only band that pulled off a decent Floyd cover. 1349 has been pretty unlistenable for me in the past, hopefully they do something tactful.

Konig_ov_Hel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:07 am 

awm wrote:
Nolan_B wrote:
unclevladistav wrote:

Yeah that sounds interesting. I think Voivod is the only band that pulled off a decent Floyd cover. 1349 has been pretty unlistenable for me in the past, hopefully they do something tactful.

I don't think that they are unlistenable, but they have such a damn generic sound that they sound like a plethora of other bands out there, that it's too damn difficult to actively pay attention to whats playing and actually remember what CD you have in.

My CD Collection (Not Complete)
http://www.metal-archives.com/usercol.p ... nig_ov_Hel

wallowinsqualor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:10 am 

I'm actually really excited to hear this

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:18 am 

RedMisanthrope wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
Bezerko wrote:

Don't pay too much attention to everyone's best friend Berzerko. He's at least twice said he hates a certain band, only to later say that he never actually listened to them.

False, if I have done that it was most likely for trolling purposes. Like the Reverend Bizarre comments I made in the Free for All one time. :D Actually, I later listened to RB and found myself quite bored, though I like their vocalist. At any rate, I indeed have heard 1349, Beyond the Apocalypse bored me insane and has prevented, in conjunction with listening to songs from other albums (and noting their similarities), checking out the rest of their discography.

BastardHead: It's not so much the constant blasting, I mean, I've listened to Transilvanian Hunger! :P I feel it's more that with the lack of good riffs coming from the band, other members should be making up for it. The vocals sound like a Satyr minus a roadrunning Ferrari to me and Frost just doesn't display what, in my mind, he can actually do. To be perfectly honest I'm not a big fan of Frost anyway, his drum tone has always annoyed me, bar on The Age of Nero and I feel that he can't get the mix between playing fast and playing a bit more... creatively, right.

Varg_Acklig
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:31 pm 

www.myspace.com/thetrueenochian

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:33 pm 

I'm planning on picking up this album. I'm listening to Hellfire right now and am reminded how much I love Frost's relentless blastbeats.

invoking_the_majesty
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:20 pm 

Not really holding my breath on this one to be honest, as I'm not overly keen on any of their stuff. I'm only really into a few of their songs, namely being "Aiwass Aeon" and "Sculptor of Flesh". Now...if they can release a whole album with songs that follow the same suit as them I shall be one happy young man, buuut...I'm not really expecting that much.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 4:13 pm 

invoking_the_majesty wrote:
Not really holding my breath on this one to be honest, as I'm not overly keen on any of their stuff. I'm only really into a few of their songs, namely being "Aiwass Aeon" and "Sculptor of Flesh". Now...if they can release a whole album with songs that follow the same suit as them I shall be one happy young man, buuut...I'm not really expecting that much.

You liked Sculpter of Flesh but nothing else off of Hellfire? I found that the other songs were in the same style as that one. I'd recommend giving it another listen. How can you turn down the viciousness of Slaves To Slaughter!?

Gravemarker
The Bloody Heartland

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 4:54 pm 

Even though I think 1349 are a bit overrated, I'd say I'm looking forward to this. Hellfire was a solid record, but hopefully this one will be better.

flayedandskinned
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:49 pm 

i listened to the e-card, not really looking forward to it.

Melkor666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:55 pm 

Gravemarker wrote:
Even though I think 1349 are a bit overrated, I'd say I'm looking forward to this. Hellfire was a solid record, but hopefully this one will be better.

Yea itll be cool no doubt, but I dont usually listen to 1349 unless I'm in the mood for something extremely fast.......or my friend bitches at me until I do it.......Ill give this release at least 1 listen. Who knows it could be good.

Master_Debater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:24 am 

Goddamn, what a slow fucking album. I'm quite disappointed.

GrtUnclean
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:53 am 

yea i dont think any album this year is going to be as dissapointing as this one, its very boring. Funeral doom is more exciting.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 5:01 am 

Uh-oh. I pre-ordered this album. I hope you two are wrong. :(

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 5:11 am 

I've listened to Hellfire and Liberation, both of which are awesome. Honestly, Liberation's production isn't THAT bad, I mean, it sucks, but once you're able decipher the riffs (which is pretty hard to do, I had to edit my equalizer just to do that), it's actually pretty good. Can't wait for the new album, especially the PF cover. Wonder what a brutal black metal band can do to a prog rock song...

On a side note, I'm probably one of the few people who actually likes Frost's constant barrage of blastbeats. :P
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

DisruptioN
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 5:31 am 

Was listening to a track on youtube.

I thought it was decent.

Beli
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:33 am 

1349 always sucked, now sucks even more.

Shallow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:31 am 

Beli wrote:
1349 always sucked, now sucks even more.
Good to know.

I'm not hyped to death about their next release, but I did like their last one (Hellfire) and the albums before that.

Not my favourite band though, I'll pick it up when it's released. Hopefully it'll deliver.

GrtUnclean
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:53 am 

well if you like an album that is about 2/3 ambient filler you may like this album, only 3 songs are actually Black Metal

sammy6105
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:36 pm 

Master_Debater wrote:
Goddamn, what a slow fucking album. I'm quite disappointed.

Fuck, I was excited about it. I'll pass if it's slow.

Mezentus
Blood on my hands

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 1:17 am 

If anybody is interested, I found a leak of the album. Valid? Probably, but I'm not entirely sure.

http://classic-extreme-metal.blogspot.com/

First one.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 1:19 am 

This thing will be in high demand. We might have to put down a pre-order deposit to get it same day.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:37 am 

Well this certainly isn't in the vein of Hellfire. I might give it a few more listenes, but this doesn't sound like the 1349 I know and love.

SwedishRawPower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:43 pm 

Maybe they got doomier under the influence of Mr. Fischer ;)

EDIT: Post #100 :)

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 3:07 pm 

So what's the Floyd cover like?

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 3:09 pm 

Quote:
SwedishRawPower wrote:
Maybe they got doomier under the influence of Mr. Fischer ;)

EDIT: Post #100 :)

:shock:

:headbang:

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next