Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:07 am 

Would probably look better under the albums info and everything.

Not to be a picky bitch or anything. I'll probably get used to it in time if it stays either way ...

The_Doctrine_Secret
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:00 am 

Xeogred wrote:
Would probably look better under the albums info and everything.
I was thinking the same thing. It's really annoying where it is now...

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:00 am 

I agree.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:07 am 

I also agree. It looks out of place. Especially with the big red bar. It's too imposing. People want to buy it AFTER they've found out the info about it.

GuyOne
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:20 am 

I'll add this question here:

Will there be a feature for labels to contact M-A about putting links to their bands or will people be given the option to add links like in the links section?

deviant_messiah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:15 pm 

And here I was wondering if I was being irritating by wanting to complain about it. I certainly understand they need the funding, so I've no objection about showing where to purchase it, but as has been said, it's certainly odd about it being right in the middle. It should be right above the "Back to (band name)'s page" link.

GuyOne
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:08 pm 

deviant_messiah wrote:
It should be right above the "Back to (band name)'s page" link.

Yes, sort of like the links section on the main band page.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:28 pm 

GuyOne wrote:
I'll add this question here:

Will there be a feature for labels to contact M-A about putting links to their bands or will people be given the option to add links like in the links section?

Only sites which have affiliation programs will be added to those sections. If you know any, you can post them here.

Cursarion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:28 pm 

GuyOne wrote:
deviant_messiah wrote:
It should be right above the "Back to (band name)'s page" link.

Yes, sort of like the links section on the main band page.

Yep. Or at least, please take the red background color away. It's just ugly when it's so big and in that location.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:50 pm 

How about now? I'm really not a designer, but merley putting the bar at the bottom was much, much uglier. I think it's not so bad like that, but I just spent two minutes. I ain't about to waste a lot of time on design for this old site anyway.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:56 pm 

What about putting it at the bottom with that look?

Either way I'd say it looks much better now. There was just something about the big red bar that looked tacky I guess.

Deaths_Design
Anti-Christian Miscreant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:21 pm 

Yeah, it looks much better now. I agree that it would look less imposing at the bottom.

Otherwise...

Can I just say that I actually REALLY love those links? I click them all the time to see what eBay has to offer. It saves me some effort of having to go there and then type it in myself. I like to just be able to see an album, say, "Man... I have to own this.", and then just have that be one click away.

Maybe one of the few examples of 'advertising' gone right! I think it's pretty kick ass.

deviant_messiah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:01 pm 

Much better now. Thanks, Morrigan. :)

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:58 pm 

OK, it's at the bottom of the page now. Better?

Deaths_Design wrote:
Can I just say that I actually REALLY love those links? I click them all the time to see what eBay has to offer. It saves me some effort of having to go there and then type it in myself. I like to just be able to see an album, say, "Man... I have to own this.", and then just have that be one click away.

Maybe one of the few examples of 'advertising' gone right! I think it's pretty kick ass.

Glad you like it and thanks for the support. I've already received an e-mail saying it was a "disgrace" and selling out, etc... :(

In related news, we made like 25$ from eBay in less than a day, fucking wow.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:19 pm 

I put it at the bottom now. It's not bad. I don't know which is better, and I don't care enough, so it'll probably stay like that for a while.

Deaths_Design wrote:

Thank you. :) And if people don't find it useful, they can easily ignore it, I think.

On a semi-related note: Xmas is coming, so those of you who planned to use eBay or amazon to do their shopping, we wouldn't hate you if you did that by using our link or anything. :D

But that's all the nudging I'll give, I certainly don't want to pressure anyone. That's why you won't ever see ugly banners on here.

UnserHeiligeTod
Lagompräst

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:23 pm 

I support fully the decision of posting the EBay and the other links, anything to make the site better, but, I have a question. Do these links have to be necessarily present in all of the site's albums, even when a band itself may have made it clear that there are no existent copies of said item left? For example, Ahti's Pohjantähti, or Moonsorrow's 1997 promo tape? Isn't this a bit confusing? Not that I'm complaining or anything, but, is there anything that can be done about this?

deviant_messiah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:44 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Xmas is coming, so those of you who planned to use eBay or amazon to do their shopping, we wouldn't hate you if you did that by using our link or anything. :D

I'd be more than happy to help out, but the only thing I'm purchasing from amazon this Christmas is Hawkwind, and obviously I can't use that here. I'm getting Neurosis as well, but from the main site.

This also brings to light a new question. For Metal Archives 2, if a band has distribution from its own site (and I'm referring to moderately bigger bands, not smaller ones) would you wind up contacting them and trying to get some support by using links to there, say from Neurot Recordings, Jester Records, etc... And will record labels also themselves be linked for profit, such as The End, Black Mark, and others?

I also think that rather than for specific albums, each link should just stay on the main bands page, rather than under each individual album, because as the poster above me said, many albums have been out of print for quite some time. I know this is most likely to ease the impossible manual modification to every available album, which is why I mentioned just taking them off the individual albums entirely.

HellBlazer wrote:
I've already received an e-mail saying it was a "disgrace" and selling out, etc... :(

Those fuckers need to get over themselves. This site needs it.

Cursarion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:50 pm 

Wow, now it looks nice. :)

Lana
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:20 pm 

deviant_messiah wrote:
I'd be more than happy to help out, but the only thing I'm purchasing from amazon this Christmas is Hawkwind, and obviously I can't use that here. I'm getting Neurosis as well, but from the main site.

Click on any Amazon/ebay link on the site, then search for whatever and buy it that way, the link still has the affiliate code thing in it. So you can buy any crap you want through ebay or Amazon, it doesn't have to be music related, and the site will still be credited for it. Correct me if I'm wrong Hellblazer/Morrigan, but I'm pretty sure that's the way it works.

Quote:
This also brings to light a new question. For Metal Archives 2, if a band has distribution from its own site (and I'm referring to moderately bigger bands, not smaller ones) would you wind up contacting them and trying to get some support by using links to there, say from Neurot Recordings, Jester Records, etc... And will record labels also themselves be linked for profit, such as The End, Black Mark, and others?

The label would have to offer an affiliate program (I think The End does have one), but all other label and band deals would have to be settled separately if they want to do that but I doubt that many who don't already have an affiliate program would be willing to do it.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:23 pm 

deviant_messiah wrote:

Actually, it's not really relevant. For amazon, the link you click will simply track your visit to us, and if you add something to your cart within 24 hours (and checkout before the cart expires, obviously), the sale will be tracked to us. So even if you buy a book, it should work. The link to an album page is merely the incentive, it doesn't matter if you end up buying something else entirely.
For eBay, same thing, only it's within a few days of bidding on an item, IIRC.

Edit: Lana beat me to it. She is correct.

Quote:

We can link anything that's a) relevant and b) has an affiliation program, i.e. a way to track the sales back to us. Unfortunately, this often demands quite a bit of programming so few smaller stores have them. On the other hand, if some labels or stores (or even bands, anyone that sells something really) are interested, we could refer them to existing affiliation platforms they could use... a lot of stores such as Fearshop and Amazon have their own in-house affiliation program, but even big stores like eBay use a third party, such as Commission Junction (North America) or TradeDoubler (Europe). These third parties provide merchants (and affiliates) with tools to integrate into their website. Some stores have found it easier to use those pre-made tools than make their own, but I have no idea what kind of integration is necessary to say, use CJ's program.

I'm not sure if that really answered your question though... :oh shit: But if, say, Neurot Recordings want to be linked by us, we could refer them to those platforms, and once they're an official merchant, we could certainly link to them.

UnserHeiligeTod wrote:
I support fully the decision of posting the EBay and the other links, anything to make the site better, but, I have a question. Do these links have to be necessarily present in all of the site's albums, even when a band itself may have made it clear that there are no existent copies of said item left? For example, Ahti's Pohjantähti, or Moonsorrow's 1997 promo tape? Isn't this a bit confusing? Not that I'm complaining or anything, but, is there anything that can be done about this?

It's either that or nothing, really... Unlike amazon or other stores, which has a steady catalogues and a webservice feed we can use to add the relevant links, as far as I know there is no way to add links like that with eBay, since the listings change constantly anyway (and there is no way in hell we can set those up manually). Clearly it's pretty much a "yeah, right" when you see a "search on eBay" link for an obscure promo tape, but hey, even for most of those, there's pretty much only eBay left if you ever want to buy it... who knows what you could find. ;)

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:45 pm 

Much better Morrigan. Far less intrusive now. :thumbsup:

GuyOne
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:42 pm 

Looks great now! Lets hope it grows and helps the website. Nice to see it working already.

Star-Gazer
Trust and you'll be trusted

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:09 am 

Morrigan wrote:
deviant_messiah wrote:

Actually, it's not really relevant. For amazon, the link you click will simply track your visit to us, and if you add something to your cart within 24 hours (and checkout before the cart expires, obviously), the sale will be tracked to us. So even if you buy a book, it should work. The link to an album page is merely the incentive, it doesn't matter if you end up buying something else entirely.
For eBay, same thing, only it's within a few days of bidding on an item, IIRC.
since it works like that, (for ease of navigation) can you just put a generic link (with your referral code) for each of the sites with which you have the affiliate program on the front page?
I spend a pretty penny on both Amazon and eBay every month, so I wouldnt mind just clicking from here (I guess it would just save one click, but it was just an idea which I dont think would compromise the site's integrity nor look out of place even if it were just in the 'news' section)

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:15 am 

HellBlazer wrote:
In related news, we made like 25$ from eBay in less than a day, fucking wow.

Awesome! Anything from amazon? From now on, I'll order all my amazon books through here. ;)

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:25 am 

einvolk wrote:
since it works like that, (for ease of navigation) can you just put a generic link (with your referral code) for each of the sites with which you have the affiliate program on the front page?
I spend a pretty penny on both Amazon and eBay every month, so I wouldnt mind just clicking from here (I guess it would just save one click, but it was just an idea which I dont think would compromise the site's integrity nor look out of place even if it were just in the 'news' section)

Well, we might make a news post with the links to all the stores after (hopefully) adding a few more. I'm not really comfortable with having permanent links to them on the main page though because... well it might seem silly to some, but to me that's on a different level than having a link to a specific search on the band pages, and I don't really like it. We could put the links on the donation page with explanations, I guess, though that doesn't save you a click. You could always bookmark the URLs with our affiliate code though. ;)

Evenfiel wrote:
Awesome! Anything from amazon? From now on, I'll order all my amazon books through here. ;)

No sales yet... at least the stats don't show any, I don't know how often they're updated. Up to around $50 on eBay though, mainly because they give us $25 for anyone who creates a new eBay account and places a bid, and two people have done that. Earnings from actual sales are only like $1.50 right now, heh.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:28 am 

Heh, V2 will have a show/hide option for every section of the bandpage, right? Because if more large distros pitch in it could get rather ugly.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:31 am 

Yes, don't worry, we won't let such a list clutter up the pages utterly, even in this version.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:47 am 

Just a small question: By using e-bay the opportunities to select from a region is rather limited; Worldwide, North America, US only...

it would be pain in the ass for users from other areas to buy albums from this site and search for sellers from their areas/continents.

Is it possible to offer this program also to users in Europe/ Asia?

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Malfunction
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:31 am 

Morrigan wrote:
On a semi-related note: Xmas is coming, so those of you who planned to use eBay or amazon to do their shopping, we wouldn't hate you if you did that by using our link or anything. :D

Need to agree with oneyoudontknow here, I was going to bid on a bunch of metal lps this afternoon and won't mind letting EM have a penny from that, but going there through the links won't work because I need the German ebay... any solution for this?

Btw the new design for the releases pages looks really cool now with the red line above and below, what about trying this for band pages? Thin red lines to separate headings and content instead of those red bars (which I've found very ugly from day one to be honest)?

Star-Gazer
Trust and you'll be trusted

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:08 am 

HellBlazer wrote:
You could always bookmark the URLs with our affiliate code though. ;)
said and done

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:23 pm 

Malfunction wrote:
Need to agree with oneyoudontknow here, I was going to bid on a bunch of metal lps this afternoon and won't mind letting EM have a penny from that, but going there through the links won't work because I need the German ebay... any solution for this?
?

Hmm, hadn't thought of that. Can someone explain how it works exactly? Does eBay Germany really show auctions/sellers that ebay.com does not show, or what?

I'll see what I can do for the regional eBays...

einvolk wrote:
said and done

Thank you. :)

oneyoudontknow

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:31 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Malfunction wrote:
?

Hmm, hadn't thought of that. Can someone explain how it works exactly? Does eBay Germany really show auctions/sellers that ebay.com does not show, or what?

I'll see what I can do for the regional eBays...

The problem is that we here across the Atlantic cannot narrow down the search - left hand site on the e-bay page - to Europe, but have merely the options I had mentioned above;Worldwide, North America, US only. Therefore it is pretty pointless to search with the links here at the MA, because the total amount of hits can be pretty heavy. If someone searches for a band like Carnivore Horde for instance the chances are good that it will work with the current available link, but with more famous bands the chances to find the item quick are poor.

My podcast:

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:03 am 

Well, after investigation, it appears that I can't link to eBay Germany specifically, which kind of sucks - affiliates who want to link to eBay Germany (and Switzerland, apparently) must be European or possess an European bank account. So, I am sorry, but there is nothing we can do for that. :(

I don't quite know why, but it appears that the affiliation programs of the various local eBay sites are spread across several affiliation platforms. eBay.com, eBay.ca, Australia and a couple of others are grouped under one platform, Germany and Switzerland on another, the South American ones on yet another... I have no idea why this is the case, but there you have it. Right now I'm able to link to eBay.com, eBay Canada and eBay Australia, and pending approval for France, UK, Belgium, Netherlands and Italy, which should get added shortly if all goes well. I can't be bothered to add eBay Singapore or India, I doubt the traffic we get is worth the integration hassle. :p

For amazon, it's a bit different. Each local amazon site (there are quite fewer ones than for eBay, thankfully - much easier for integration) has its own affiliation program. So, I had to sign up with all of them (ugh). After some testing, amazon UK and France appear to be quite buggy for the band searches so I turned them off for now (the album links are there though). It kind of sucks for us since we have to keep track of so many accounts, but hopefully it'll be worth it for our overseas visitors.

As you can see, the "local" sites appear in an expandable/collapsable list under the main one when you click the arrows. This was to reduce the clutter, obviously. I hope it looks decent enough.

PiotrB
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:21 am 

in Poland ebay.pl isn't so popular
we prefer www.allegro.pl :P
what about this ? :P

UnserHeiligeTod
Lagompräst

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:18 pm 

Excellent work with the extra "buy from" links, Morrigan! :thumbsup:

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:51 pm 

Yeah its a little late but I guess I should say thanks for fulfilling the requests here. It looks great now and I've even found myself clicking some of those links already. :beer:

Osgilliath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:15 pm 

I've already told my entire family and I'm planning on telling everyone else I know that if they're buying anything from Amazon or eBay to do it through Metal-Archives.

Pics or it didn't happen.

oneyoudontknow

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:08 am 

Would these links have an influence on google's page-rank of the site?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PageRank
I just wondered...

edit: Thanks for the additional links Morrigan. It kinda sucks that e-bay Germany is not supported, but there are ways to deal with this.

My podcast:

GVOLTT
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:52 pm 

Rockabilia has an affiliates program.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:17 pm 

GVOLTT wrote:
Rockabilia has an affiliates program.

Thanks... but that site is horrendously slow for me, and I severely dislike the fact that they don't even write the prices on the item page (until after you've added it to the cart, WTF?)... I am reluctant to add that one right now. We'll see.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next