Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
sofeshue
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:47 am 

It may be suggested before, but even if so, I'd re-emphasize it.

The site is easily ruined by the mojibakes, which come from the submission of information. As you know, people from all over the world use and help build this site, (by the way, this website is really fucking great!!!) but generally they don't use a same language encoding system. So when they submit information in non-English here, the mojibake might appear. For example, I’ve just moderated the new release of Explosicum, adding the Chinese title to the tracklist. When I was on the Edit Page, the language encoding of my browser is English. I typed the Chinese characters, submitted them and checked, see what I got? All ridiculous characters, no way to displayed them correctly - even I change the encoding to Chinese! This is what we get: (I have re-moderated it)
http://5x51.com/sofeshue/forma/for.jpg

I am a language learner and perfectionist, so I really cannot abide such lingual wrongness.

Here I suggest some solutions. First, you might consider changing the rules slightly, allowing members whose rank is Veteran or higher (Freak or higher) to moderate the album titles. There are a lot of hell mojibakes in the titles and we have no way but to report them – today I reported four. Second, you may consider adopt Unicode, just like the famous multi-lingual website wikipedia does. This can solve all lingual problems. By the way, I came across the word “V2” in the forum. Does it mean a second version of MA? If so, I strongly recommend you the latter solution.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:03 am 

sofeshue wrote:
It may be suggested before, but even if so, I'd re-emphasize it.

The site is easily ruined by the mojibakes, which come from the submission of information. As you know, people from all over the world use and help build this site, (by the way, this website is really fucking great!!!) but generally they don't use a same language encoding system. So when they submit information in non-English here, the mojibake might appear. For example, I’ve just moderated the new release of Explosicum, adding the Chinese title to the tracklist. When I was on the Edit Page, the language encoding of my browser is English. I typed the Chinese characters, submitted them and checked, see what I got? All ridiculous characters, no way to displayed them correctly - even I change the encoding to Chinese! This is what we get: (I have re-moderated it)
http://5x51.com/sofeshue/forma/for.jpg

I am a language learner and perfectionist, so I really cannot abide such lingual wrongness.

Here I suggest some solutions. First, you might consider changing the rules slightly, allowing members whose rank is Veteran or higher (Freak or higher) to moderate the album titles. There are a lot of hell mojibakes in the titles and we have no way but to report them – today I reported four. Second, you may consider adopt Unicode, just like the famous multi-lingual website wikipedia does. This can solve all lingual problems. By the way, I came across the word “V2” in the forum. Does it mean a second version of MA? If so, I strongly recommend you the latter solution.

First, you might consider changing the rules slightly, allowing members whose rank is Veteran or higher (Freak or higher) to moderate the album titles.

Absolutely not and I am speaking for most of the mods. Have you seen what one veteran can do with album covers? Or the recent TrogBog destructive tour? No, common users will have to report it as usual. The info is too much precious to be lost. Last time molk15 brought it up, he got detailed and clear answer. Respect that, please.

A lot of users are highly immature, as the current Alestorm happenings have shown. There were several long time forum members among the recent submitters of these two bands. If they were ont able to learn the rules in three years, who can we trust an anonymous veteran user?

http://www.metal-archives.com/board/vie ... hp?t=32735

As for the encoding, address site owners, that IS a problem and only they can provide lasting technical solution. Please, do not report them anymore, since the site always deforms it again

sofeshue
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:20 am 

Sorry, I got the point. I completely understand the ordeal that you mods are in. I was sometimes only driven by the perfectionism... especially in the context of language.

Sorry agian, but I really love this website.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:26 am 

sofeshue wrote:
Sorry, I got the point. I completely understand the ordeal that you mods are in. I was sometimes only driven by the perfectionism... especially in the context of language.

Sorry agian, but I really love this website.

You are right that the encoding of non-English letter is a big problem, so perhaps the site owners could tell us, if some lasting fix is possible??

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:05 am 

The new version will use UTF-8 encoding, which should hopefully take care of most of the encoding problems.

JoeCapricorn
Needs to stop pissing off the mods

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:45 pm 

Does that mean I can form a band with umlauts over the letter X now?

Reply to topic