Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:55 am 

I did a bit of research here on MA on this band - it seems that, yes, they were submitted to the archives, but they were not accepted. I also see there was no discussion brought up on the fact they were rejected.

So, here I am to talk about this band :)

Gothmininster mixes in a 50/50 concoction of Industrial Metal and Gothic Metal. It has all the right elements of metal - not just guitars, drums and a keyboardist, but that distinct metal feel which is generally hard to define but we all know. There are guitar solos, dark and descriptive lyrics, an impassioned vocalist, thumping drums and some great keyboard usage to form a fantastic atmosphere for their music. I sincerely think this band deserves another chance to get on MA. They have the "right stuff".

I don't know the reason as to why they were initially rejected, but they deserve another chance from the mods to gain a submission.

Here's the link to their MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/gothminister

And here's a link to their song 'The Calling' off of their second album 'The Empire of Dark Salvation' which I think represents their sound quite well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIiniM6WvUw

Official Site: http://www.gothminister.com/

I should also mention I am familiar with this band only through that second album. Their first album may very well deviate from metal and more into an Industro-Goth sound, quite distinct from metal.

EDIT: as a quick follow-up to this last comment, I just looked around their site and I saw this blurb under their bio: GOTHMINISTER is more than ever about heavier guitars and dark metal. The electronic elements are still there, but more in the background, to make room for fantastic orchestral pompous moods." Now, in context it's obvious that whoever wrote that page is not terribly well-versed in the English language, but it seems that they have had a shift from an electronic style of music to a metal style of music. Just a little quip to keep in mind when a mod is looking at this band - and plus it also confirms that I'm not completely crazy and that even the band thinks they have had a shift towards a more "metallic" sound.

Thank you for your time.

cheers,
--N

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:18 pm 

The distorted guitars are more in the foreground now and there are some metallic riffs, but the basis of the music stays the same - pumping electro beats. They are still not fully a metal band. Rammstein and Oomph! reach this level of heaviness with ease. Not to speak about Deathstars - rejected too.

Happiness in Darknes is again pretty far from metal and similar to the older songs.
Only the first song on myspace comes close to gothic metal.

This one is again not metal at all:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIiniM6WvUw

The metalness is what matters, not the possible quality of the music.

Small note : since when is a keyboardist the right element in metal??

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:43 pm 

Witcher wrote:
The distorted guitars are more in the foreground now and there are some metallic riffs, but the basis of the music stays the same - pumping electro beats. They are still not fully a metal band. Rammstein and Oomph! reach this level of heaviness with ease. Not to speak about Deathstars - rejected too.

Happiness in Darknes is again pretty far from metal and similar to the older songs.
Only the first song on myspace comes close to gothic metal.

This one is again not metal at all:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIiniM6WvUw

The metalness is what matters, not the possible quality of the music.

Small note : since when is a keyboardist the right element in metal??

Alright, if they are still deemed to be too electronic, then that's alright, I suppose :( I still think they have more than enough reason to be on MA (their sound is quite similar to Type O's newest 'Dead Again' IMO, just more Industiral) but that's fine if they still haven't got the right feel in your opinion.

As for the keyboardist bit, tons of metal bands employ keyboards, and while (yes) traditionally metal has been a guitar and drums driven genre, some bands rely heavily on their keyboards to drive their sound (Blind Guardian, Rhapsody, Dark Tranquillity, and tons of other Gothic, Atmospheric, Melodeath, Funeral Doom, Black Metal, Power Metal, Symphonic Metal (big one here) and Viking Metal bands).

cheers,
--N

EDIT: is it alright to keep this topic open, and not lock it, in case others wish to cast their opinion, including other board members as well as Mods?

Muloc7253
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:51 am 

Sounds metal by my standards, but not by the general MA standards.

Sounds good though.

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:22 am 

This is quite rightfully not accepted here.

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:29 pm 

Sounds no more metal than Deathstars to me. very similar in composition to them with the electronic beats.
Because they are not considered metal? This is not fare!!!

ToxicKev
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:22 pm 

http://www.myspace.com/gothminister

And now? With their new album? The song Darkside is 100% metal!

todesengel_hell
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:48 pm 

ToxicKev wrote:
http://www.myspace.com/gothminister

And now? With their new album? The song Darkside is 100% metal!

a band needs one full metal album according to MA's standards to be acceptable. if you feel this new album is metal enough, i suggest that you post your argument for the band and links to proof in this thread:
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/vie ... hp?t=39064

you will need to have a link to a site such as mediafire or rapidshare where the whole album is hosted

Gravemarker
The Bloody Heartland

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:09 pm 

todesengel_hell wrote:
you will need to have a link to a site such as mediafire or rapidshare where the whole album is hosted

:nono: I don't think that's allowed. Rather, have a mod listen to their stuff via myspace or last.fm streaming, but I'm pretty sure any and all downloads posted on these forums have to be band-sactioned.

todesengel_hell
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:23 pm 

Gravemarker wrote:
todesengel_hell wrote:

:nono: I don't think that's allowed. Rather, have a mod listen to their stuff via myspace or last.fm streaming, but I'm pretty sure any and all downloads posted on these forums have to be band-sactioned.

really? im pretty sure ive done it a few times. i dont specifically remember though. i know they can be sent by PM or in a report to prove metalness. this is my first time hearing that u cant do it over the forum though.

GVOLTT
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:52 pm 

todesengel_hell wrote:
Gravemarker wrote:
todesengel_hell wrote:

really? im pretty sure ive done it a few times. i dont specifically remember though. i know they can be sent by PM or in a report to prove metalness. this is my first time hearing that u cant do it over the forum though.

I'm pretty sure you can post links to albums to prove their metalness in the appropriate topic, assuming the full release is not available for streaming at sites like last.fm and MySpace. Personally, I recommend deleting the download link after a band's metalness has been proven or not, both from the post where you provide the link and from the site where you originally uploaded it, assuming you uploaded it.

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:30 am 

Witcher is still correct. This is pretty much on one level with Rammstein or KMFDM.

ToxicKev
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:53 pm 

If Gothminister or Deathstars are not metal, what are they? My two top genres of music are Metal and Industrial. And I would dare to say that those two are WAY more metal than industrial. It do not sound at all like EBM-Industrial or whatever genre in the Industrial, it do not sound at all like Combichrist, Assemblage 23, VNV Nation, Icon of Coil, Grendel, Hocico, etc.

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:36 pm 

Industrial rock.

NecroFile
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:54 am 

I heard their new album...not metal. There are more riffs than before, but it's still full of keyboards and electronic beats. The most metal song was "Beauty After Midnight", only because it had lots of double bass work.

Reply to topic