Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:10 pm 

I'm sorry. I gave them listening hours every single day since I first downloaded their stuff. It's final - it's official, Morbid Angel are fucking boring. I've listened to their first three albums constantly, and yet it still fails to grow on me or interest me in any way.

Autopsy? Damn good
Immolation? Splendid
Asphyx? No problem
Morpheus Descends? Easily
Gorguts? Happy days

Morbid Angel? No fucking way. Give me all the backlash you want, guys, I don't care.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:16 pm 

Funny, I liked Morbid Angel's debut the first time I heard it. I haven't listened to it in a while...think I'll go back to it tonight. :metal:

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:25 pm 

It took me some time before getting into Morbid Angel. But when I saw them live with Behemoth a few years ago, they were so mindblowing I bought their first three after that, and haven't regretted it at all. Maze of Torment is one of the most awesome songs ever.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:27 pm 

I dunno, I keep hearing their stuff and it still doesn't impress. Even a song as mundane as Carcass' "Exhume To Consume" sounds fantastic when compared to Altars Of Madness.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:28 pm 

It took me some time to start enjoying Altars of Madness, but after a while of listening I think it's definitely one of the best death metal albums period. I have Covenant as well which is good also. Early Morbid Angel is one of those high "sacred cows" of metal I'm sure, I haven't found a single metalhead that dislikes Altars...

HumanWaste5150
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:34 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
It took me some time before getting into Morbid Angel. But when I saw them live with Behemoth a few years ago, they were so mindblowing I bought their first three after that, and haven't regretted it at all. Maze of Torment is one of the most awesome songs ever.

That's how I get into a lot of bands. I think they're ok before I see them opening for a band I went to see and it just all fucking clicks.

OzzyApu wrote:
I dunno, I keep hearing their stuff and it still doesn't impress. Even a song as mundane as Carcass' "Exhume To Consume" sounds fantastic when compared to Altars Of Madness.

Exhume To Consume isn't mundane ... :(
We fought to the last breath
Wonder if we will shake hands
Beyond the gates of death

lord_kexasthur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:35 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
I'm sorry. I gave them listening hours every single day since I first downloaded their stuff. It's final - it's official, Morbid Angel are fucking boring. I've listened to their first three albums constantly, and yet it still fails to grow on me or interest me in any way.

Autopsy? Damn good
Immolation? Splendid
Asphyx? No problem
Morpheus Descends? Easily
Gorguts? Happy days

Morbid Angel? No fucking way. Give me all the backlash you want, guys, I don't care.

I have given Morbid Angel's Altars of Madness more attempts than any other album. It grew on me a bit but not as I wanted it to. I WANT to like it though. Their name is awesome, the album has an awesome cover, awesome title and song names, awesome overall instrumental sound and an awesome legacy. But I just can't.
I think one day I will, though.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:41 pm 

Don't get me wrong (Carcass fucking rule), but Morbid Angel IS a band I want to get into. They just have so much backing by the fanbase that it is seems impossible not to like them, but alas that is the case. Maybe if I did see them live it might just click, but I don't want to fork up money and time to do it.

It hasn't even grown on me since the first listen. It still isn't what I thought it would be. This goes the same for their second and third albums.

Oh my views are the same on Suffocation. Just can't get into them.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:43 pm 

The best way to find new bands is by seeing a live gig. It's nice to find new bands by hearing their albums, but if you get blown away by a band you've never heard before on a live gig, it's an idiot-proof way to find something you'll enjoy for years.

Morbid Angel is one of those bands that would perhaps work well in that respect. They are a good live band even now.

But hey, I'm talking to you people... keep on downloading, youngsters....

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:44 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:

I found Effigy of the Forgotten extremely boring and unappealing the first time I heard it (alongside Origin and Obituary), but I recently went back to it and found it quite awesome. Definitely worthy of the praise. Just put the albums away for a bit and go back to them in a week or two, see what you think then.

HumanWaste5150
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:49 pm 

I can't understand how songs like Chapel Of Ghouls or Maze Of Torment arnt selling it for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXXtMI6NGGQ .. We sure we're listening to the same album :P?

Dont even get me started on early Suffocation.. ( hence my name :))

Just do what Emp said, it will click sooner or later when you least expect it and you'll be craving more.

RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:51 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Don't get me wrong (Carcass fucking rule), but Morbid Angel IS a band I want to get into. They just have so much backing by the fanbase that it is seems impossible not to like them, but alas that is the case. Maybe if I did see them live it might just click, but I don't want to fork up money and time to do it.

It hasn't even grown on me since the first listen. It still isn't what I thought it would be. This goes the same for their second and third albums.

I have the same problem with Morbid Angel. I listen to their stuff, yeah its good death metal, definetely not bad at all but I just cant get into it. They've become a band I respect for being who they are evn though they dont exactly apeal to me. All though, I guarantey some time down the line Il give them another spin and they will finaly click. Then Il be sitting there wondering why the fuck I didnt hear it like that in the first place.

Last edited by RevBau on Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lord_kexasthur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:51 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:

I found Effigy of the Forgotten extremely boring and unappealing the first time I heard it (alongside Origin and Obituary), but I recently went back to it and found it quite awesome. Definitely worthy of the praise. Just put the albums away for a bit and go back to them in a week or two, see what you think then.

Happened with me with Suffocation too. I heard them but didn't find them appealing. Few months later, I just had this very strange sudden feeling to listen to Pierced From Within, and it sounded much better.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:53 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:

Yeah, constant listening of an album for days on end will ruin it for you. Waiting a while really lets stuff sink in and removes the annoying feelings you get from repeated overlistening. Really lets you get re-acquainted with a song.
Hehe, foreskins.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:04 pm 

Crick wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:

Yeah, constant listening of an album for days on end will ruin it for you. Waiting a while really lets stuff sink in and removes the annoying feelings you get from repeated overlistening. Really lets you get re-acquainted with a song.

I have had that happen to me too many times. I'm finally starting to learn, but it's just so tempting when you feel like listening to an album and then it ends up doing nothing for you because you've over-played it, you know? It's like wanting to eat but being too full to stomach it.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:12 pm 

All right, I'll definitely cool down on it and revisit the albums in a couple of weeks or so. Gotta let some stress blow over - with school and training this weekend. Pretty sure it'll win me over then - even just a little bit. Thanks for the concern and mature attitude, everyone.

Crick

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:19 pm 

Good to hear you're coming to your senses, Ozzy. :D

But yeah, I used to do that quite a lot as well Emp. Even in the case where I didnt like an album yet but I just had a really strong desire to appreciate it. I'd listen to songs over and over without having them click, hoping at some point it would work without really realising that I wasn't giving myself enough time to comprehend the complete work. Then I'd come back later and hear a part that'd catch my attention. That's normally all it takes to spark some interest in an album anyway, so it works out nicely.
Hehe, foreskins.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:21 pm 

Napero wrote:
He's shoving an oar up his nostril. It's a romanian rite of passage.
I feel like sigging this. :lol:

Crick

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:07 pm 

http://metal-archives.com/band.php?id=3540278289

I've figured it out! Metalcore logos are regular text thats been sandblasted, deathcore logos are text thats been repeatedly brushed in stupid directions, and groove metal logos are just completely awful and inoffensive. This is surely a breakthrough in metallic science.
Hehe, foreskins.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:25 pm 

Wow. Sig:ar:tyr sounds just like Falkenbach, just with a bit more acoustic influence. Not a bad thing though.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:26 pm 

Metallic scientists need to find a law for bad band names. I mean seriously, Pain Is?

Crick

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:42 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
Metallic scientists need to find a law for bad band names. I mean seriously, Pain Is?

Law of Homosexual Naming: Metalcore bands are given names that are either sentences or single words that appear incredibly cringe inducing and usually contain "big" words pertaining to personal feelings of faggotry.

Law of Ironic Stupidity: Deathcore bands are given names that are much like metalcore band names. The biggest difference is that they will frequently contain seemingly "random" elements of that totally awesome humor Family Guy perfected. References to superheroes, song names from other (ironic) music genres (see: Reggae) and nonsensical bullshit are common.

Law of Tuff Gaiz: Groove bands are given names that involve tuff wurdz, such as "Pain", "18-Wheeler", "Fist" and so forth. They will often form half-sentences that involve fights or various taunts favored by the average douche.
Hehe, foreskins.

rathofgod
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:50 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:

I thought it said 'Penis' at first... :lol:

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:10 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2JX9VeL7n4

There just isn't an excuse for this. :puke:

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:16 pm 

theposega wrote:

After visiting the band page, I'm pretty sure they have an excuse to make a shitty video like that. Comes to terms with being a shitty band in the first place.

5ealchris
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:17 pm 

theposega wrote:

Wow, I mean since when are metal videos supposed to look like they're in a club. Isn't that what rap is for. No wonder it only has 4 stars, even though it deserves 1.

But thats to be expected from metalcore.

*Runs to put on some real metal*

Last edited by 5ealchris on Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:17 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
theposega wrote:

After visiting the band page, I'm pretty sure they have an excuse to make a shitty video like that. Comes to terms with being a shitty band in the first place.

I'm not denying in the least that they are an awful, awful band. But still, I'm almost positive that if Nergal saw his band's shirt in a rap video, he would crucify himself.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:21 pm 

Oh :lol: I thought you were trying to back the band up. But yes, I didn't even get past 20 seconds in because it was just atrocious and a waste of time. To make up for it, I'll try to write some reviews. Damn, this is the worst music video I've seen since that Hed P.E. one that was shown on here - and I don't even watch music videos.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:23 pm 

Neither do I that much. Aside from the occasional deathcore one like that, strictly for comedic value.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:25 pm 

Listening... to... Asphyx... "Forgotten War"... feel like mother fucking curbstomping babies .Thank hell for the elementary school next to my house!! FUCK!

Crick

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:35 pm 

Man, I'm loving Industrial Black Metal lately. I'm fairly sure that garners me countless amounts of hatred, but every band I find in this genre has such a neat sound of its own.

EDIT: Speaking of which, Thorns' next full length is due out fairly soon!
Hehe, foreskins.

NeglectedField
Onwards to Camulodunum!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:00 pm 

theposega wrote:

THAT BAND CAN FUCK THE FUCK OFF.

If you're gonna mix groovy stuff with Emperor/Dimmu type orchestration, at least try for what my mates are doing www.myspace.com/xerath I'm not the biggest Meshuggah fan but they know much better not to be a bunch of wiggaz.

Atrocious_Mutilation
7mL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:42 pm 

NeglectedField wrote:
theposega wrote:

Indeed.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:46 pm 

I'm with OzzyApu on Morbid Angel, I just can't get into them. Altars just seems so... bland. Covenant is just shit though, I have no idea how that album is as popular as it is, it's weak as well as bland. However, I am planning on seeing them if possible when they come to Melbourne in a few months, purely because of the fanbase and the legacy.

As for Suffocation, go to Pierced from Within, it's their best, and the easiest to get into. Although everything they've done is great, I'd recommend that over Effigy for a first album to try any day of the week. Effigy is a very suffocating (sorry, it's literally the best descriptor) piece of music, and from personal experience it can take a while to really click.

Last edited by lord_ghengis on Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MaDTransilvanian
Caravan Beyond Redemption

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:46 pm 

NeglectedField wrote:
theposega wrote:

If you're gonna mix groovy stuff with Emperor/Dimmu type orchestration, at least try for what my mates are doing www.myspace.com/xerath I'm not the biggest Meshuggah fan but they know much better not to be a bunch of wiggaz.

That Winds of Plague clip was a pure horror to watch. Now I hate rap and their videos, and I can occasionally tolerate and even enjoy going clubbing with my non-metalhead friends, but this is just so FUCKING WRONG. I think the worst part is that next to that nadir of a clip the music itself isn't as horrible as many other unlistenable deathcore bullshit bands like Bring Me The Horizon. Both songs I've heard from ''Decimate the Weak'' are good enough except for the shitty breakdowns.

HumanWaste5150
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:55 pm 

Am I the only one who heard him bree out Wigger during the breakdown :lol:?

mrchris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:57 pm 

Regarding that shitty WoP video, just rate it 1 star like I did.

OlioTheSmall
Handsome (marsupial) Beast

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:58 pm 

mrchris wrote:
Regarding that shitty WoP video, just rate it 1 star like I did.

Done.

- Tim Minchin

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:08 pm 

Eh, if you see a Graveland and an Insomnium review, it's mine.

5000 yayers.

saintinhell
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:12 pm 

On the topic of "getting into" Morbid Angel, cranking it up might work, I suggest. It worked for me, certainly, because they are perhaps not loud enough for a death metal band.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150 ... 1106  Next