Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
7IHd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:28 am 

I have been recently getting into Symphonic Metal, but really do not know many artists from the genre short of Kamelot. I also really dig Crimfall when they venture into symphonic (well, and when they don't, too), but otherwise, my symphonic knowledge is lacking (other than Nightwish and Within Temptation, which while decent at best, don't really do it for me anymore). I'm looking for some good symphonic bands with either clean or a mix of clean/other vocals. Also, having complementing choral arrangements is a plus if it's done well, but that's far from a necessity. I also just checked out one song from Winds (Theory of Relativity), since someone had put something about it, and while I'm not sure if it's symphonic, it was also quite brilliant. I'm open to try mostly anything in the genre, since I'm still quite ignorant of much of what it has to offer.

in_human_form
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:38 pm 

Winds isn't exactly symphonic--they just have a string arrangement and a pianist. That being said, they are one of my favourite bands and Theory of Relativity is a great song.

PedigreeButchery
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:26 pm 

You should check out Bal-Sagoth. Battle Magic or Starfire Burning, preferably.

Khull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:54 pm 

Therion. No symphonic metal thread is complete without them - they're one of the best in the field. Every album after Lepaca Klifoth will fit your desires quite well, while at the same time offer a wide range of sounds (No two albums really sound alike). I personally recommend Gothic Kabbalah, Theli, and Vovin, though any album will do fine.

Epica's The Diving Conspiracy is worthy of note too. Easily their best album, but it's also less pop-oriented like Within Temptation, and much more engaging than most Nightwish albums. The orchestral composition is incredible, too.

Hollenthon is a, well, a lot of things, but primarily symphonic metal with some death and folk metal elements. Don't worry, you won't find any cheesy humpa tunes or the like, but they're worth checking out. I personally like Domus Mundi, but their other two albums are good too.

I hope these three help. Purely symphonic metal is hard to find; a lot of it is intermixed with other genres such as black or power, so if you don't mind those let me know.

KiwiPhoenix777
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:24 pm 

Tristania : Their album Beyond the Veil is good symphonic gothic metal. They use growls, clean male and female vocals and choirs and orchestral backing.

Nota Profana: They have one EP which is very orchestral and quite epic, and they use growls and female vocals.

Dark Moor: They are symphonic power metal and have either a male or female vocalist depending on album, but in my opinion some of their stuff is overdone, partucularly on their latest album.

Edenbridge: Their album My Earth Dream uses a backing orchestra and is very symhonic and epic. Their sound is basically symphonic power metal and they do use choirs for backing vocals. The aforementioned album is by far the best.

Probably the same place that spawned AIDS and Dani Filth.

7IHd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:18 pm 

I'll be back for the last one later, but checked out the first bands and my report on how I liked em:

Bal-Sagoth: Frankly, the name cracks me up, cuz I see it as being pronounced Ball Saggeth. The vocals have somewhat of the same effect, as they seem more comically spoken than actually sung. But the rest of it is quite decent. However, the vocals are a huge turnoff and I couldn't see listening to it.

Therion: Pretty good, I liked Wine of Aluqah and some other songs from Vovin best, though all of it was pretty good. Wasn't anything I didn't like. Though I didn't take to it as much as I thought I would. It may grow on me, though.

Epica: Fun to listen to, catchy and pretty talented in parts. I liked The Divine Conspiracy, was better than whatever by them I had briefly checked out by them a ways back.

Hollenthon: The DM vocals aren't really my thing, but for DM vocals, I liked them more than most (DM vocals are some of my least favorite), and the rest of it was really quite cool and interesting. Definitely was worth the look.

As for symphonic mixed with other genres, I quite like it mixed with folk and power. BM vocals would be alright if they are in complement to other vocal styles.

XSpidercideX
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:29 pm 

For Therion's symphonic stuff, I would recommend Secret of the Runes and Theli.

u_sir_r_a_faggot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:11 am 

7IHd wrote:
As for symphonic mixed with other genres, I quite like it mixed with folk and power.

Kivimetsan druidi

MetalRulesTheNight
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:54 pm 

Definitely check every single Therion album since "Theli".
I would also recommend "Lingua Mortis" by RAGE and Yngwie J. Malmsteen's "΅Concerto Suite for Electric Guitar and Orchestra in E flat minor Opus1" --- not exactly "Symphonic" in the sense you mentioned but a very interesting approach of how Metal integrates with what is called "Classical" and "Symphonic" music

ArcticTundra13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:30 pm 

I know you don't like death metal vocals, but they are well worth putting up with in order to listen to Haggard. In fact, Haggard is the reason I started listening to death metal in general. The orchestration is simply unbeatable.

PriestofSadWings
Bishop of Dark Spaces

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:56 pm 

Dragonland. The band name is a relic from when they were a cheesy generic power metal band, but their music now is absolutely amazing.

Songs: Supernova, Beethoven's Nightmare, Starfall

Justineer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:07 pm 

Really, have we only just now gotten a Symphonic Metal recommendation thread? Wow. It's worth mentioning that several bands mentioned i.e. Dragonland and Kamelot are Power Metal more than anything. I would suggest Nightwish. If you don't like their new album, don't give up until you hear their much better Tarja-era stuff. My favorite album by them is Oceanborn.

7IHd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:39 pm 

Tristiana: They seemed pretty good, but the music didn't really appeal to me. I don't know exactly what it was about them, but it's just not what I'm looking for.

Nota Profana: Not bad, have some pretty good potential. The female vocals were often a bit higher than I normally prefer, though I don't really mind them that high, just like the lower female range a bit more with vocals stretching up into the higher range.

Dark Moor: I enjoyed it, especially what I heard from The Gates of Oblivion, but it seemed much more like Power metal with brief symphonic elements rather than Symphonic Power. Not to say that it wasn't good. I quite enjoyed it, but not quite what I'm looking for. Still, a band to log away.

Edenbridge: I like it! Will definitely check out more of this band.

Kivimetsän Druidi: Pretty damn good, though I can't say the female vocals are quite my favorite, though she does well throughout the songs I've heard. Have some pretty cool folk melodies, though, but I thought symphonic elements were a bit lacking in the songs I checked out (Kristallivuoren Maa and Jaassa Varttunut), but definitely worth a closer look. Nice (albeit brief) suggestion.

Will get to more later. Thanks all for the suggestions.

MetalRulesTheNight
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:43 am 

ArcticTundra13 wrote:
I know you don't like death metal vocals, but they are well worth putting up with in order to listen to Haggard. In fact, Haggard is the reason I started listening to death metal in general. The orchestration is simply unbeatable.

Yes Haggard would be an excellent choice too! Although they have a strong "medieval" angle to their music, they are definitely into the "Symphonic" sub-genre.... maybe an advanced choice but check em out for sure!

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:15 am 

Second Bal-Sagoth, especially later on, if harsh vox aren't you're thing. Amazing, epic, sprawling band mixing elements of black, death and speed/power with epic storytelling lyrics/vocals. A truley splendid band!

Blacklinkz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:17 pm 

Well, almost all may top recommendations have been posted already (Therion, haggard, Hollenthon), still, I would like to contribute with the folllowing:

Devil Doll - Really amazing stuff. Kind of avant-garde-ish symphonic metal. The orchestration and song-writting are near-perfect, and structured in a very neat opera-like fashion. Really, an essential listen if you're to get into symphonic stuff. Dies Irae is their best (and last) work, IMO.

Waltari - The album "Yeah! Yeah! Die! Die! (A Death Metal Symphony in Deep C)". The name may seem kinda dull, but really, the album is just pure win (except the song "Move", which is more something like orchestra + hip-hop). As you can figure out, the album has some death growls, but they are used to great effect, along with the clean/soprano vocals.

Virgin Black - The album "Requiem - Mezzoforte". Very few times one gets to listen to such a beautiful masterpiece. This albums sets a new standard for symphonic metal (and I dare to say, to symphonic music in general). Awesome orchestrations, awesome riffs, awesome melodies, awesome vocals... well, you get the point.

http://intothepandemoniumes.blogspot.com Blog with reviews, articles and other nerdy stuff. Spanish only :/

DrumboyFromHell
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:29 pm 

This is an unknown Symphonic Metal band but he is named Lunatica and it's very good. They come from Switzerland and they have already four albums released and each new releases are better. The vocals are good and soft and it's beautiful.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:20 am 

7IHd wrote:

Edenbridge: I like it! Will definitely check out more of this band.

Edenbridge are one of my favourite bands. My favourite album is Sunrise In Eden, but Shine and MyEarthDream are great, and their first Live album is excellent. You should check these out, quite a lot of people prefer them to Nightwish

DrumboyFromHell
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:01 am 

Me I prefer Nightwish. The thing that I hate in Edenbridge is the voice of the woman that sings

7IHd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:27 pm 

RAGE- Lingua Mortis: Not what I was looking for but pretty freaking cool prog with symphonic elements. A bit long-winded at points, but I rather enjoyed it. Good listen.

Yngwie Malmsteen- Had always admired the guy, but hadn't really checked out his stuff with orchestra, which is odd because I love orchestra and electric. Awesome suggestion. I'll have to look for this CD. Again, not exactly what I was looking for, but a nice find haha.

Haggard- Woah, I actually quite like this band. I think I could get used to the vocals and I love the rest of it. Pretty female vocals in some songs as well. This band needs a closer look. Album suggestions?

Dragonland- Not bad, liked Beethoven's Nightmare alot more than the other two, but was all pretty good stuff. But it is quite power of course. Not that that's a bad thing at all.

Devil Doll- Not entirely sure what I think about it. It reminds me a bit of something that would be on the soundtrack for The Nightmare Before Christmas haha. But in a good way. Idk otherwise. Not bad though.

Waltari- Not bad in places, but not really my thing with the DM vocals and I just didn't like the overall band enough for the music to compensate, unfortunately.

Virgin Black- Hmm, it was a bit slow for my tastes, but still rather pretty, but also rather melancholy, I thought.

Lunatica- Not too bad, they have some potential to be pretty good.

DrumboyFromHell
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:41 pm 

7IHd wrote:
RAGE- Lingua Mortis: Not what I was looking for but pretty freaking cool prog with symphonic elements. A bit long-winded at points, but I rather enjoyed it. Good listen.

Yngwie Malmsteen- Had always admired the guy, but hadn't really checked out his stuff with orchestra, which is odd because I love orchestra and electric. Awesome suggestion. I'll have to look for this CD. Again, not exactly what I was looking for, but a nice find haha.

Haggard- Woah, I actually quite like this band. I think I could get used to the vocals and I love the rest of it. Pretty female vocals in some songs as well. This band needs a closer look. Album suggestions?

Dragonland- Not bad, liked Beethoven's Nightmare alot more than the other two, but was all pretty good stuff. But it is quite power of course. Not that that's a bad thing at all.

Devil Doll- Not entirely sure what I think about it. It reminds me a bit of something that would be on the soundtrack for The Nightmare Before Christmas haha. But in a good way. Idk otherwise. Not bad though.

Waltari- Not bad in places, but not really my thing with the DM vocals and I just didn't like the overall band enough for the music to compensate, unfortunately.

Virgin Black- Hmm, it was a bit slow for my tastes, but still rather pretty, but also rather melancholy, I thought.

Lunatica- Not too bad, they have some potential to be pretty good.

Lunatica 4EVER!!! Yngwie Malmsteen is very great!! You have to get his DVD with the Japan Philharmonic Orchestra. It's a very good DVD. And you will be surprised because his guitars solos sounds very good with an orchestra. My friend you have to watch it!!

7IHd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:49 pm 

Yeah, I was actually watching video from that performance (prompting the above comment about Yngwie). I'll certainly be on the lookout for it.

ArcticTundra13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:31 pm 

I really love all Haggard's albums, but if you want my two favorites: "Tales of Ithiria" (more of a renaissance vibe) and "Eppur Si Muove" (more baroque).

7IHd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:03 pm 

Loving Eppur. Gonna try out the other, too. Might buy one or both. Awesome stuff.

DrumboyFromHell
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:49 am 

Does someone know if Nightwish will make a new album soon?? Because I'm just eager to hear new stuff from them.

KiwiPhoenix777
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:00 am 

DrumboyFromHell wrote:
Does someone know if Nightwish will make a new album soon?? Because I'm just eager to hear new stuff from them.

Out by mid-2010.

Probably the same place that spawned AIDS and Dani Filth.

u_sir_r_a_faggot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:02 am 

Does agalloch fall in sympho metal category

Reply to topic