Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Velociraptor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:04 pm 

Recently I was listening to Iron Monkey and my drummer friend said that he found the drumming was quite difficult as it's harder to play with slower metal then with faster pieces, due to timing etc. Which made me wonder, what is the most technical drumming (almost like technical death) that is played behind a slower song? Could anyone suggest me a band that has this element incorperated into it? I would preferably want doom/drone songs but my request is not neccessarily limited to those genres. I am NOT interested in bands with only technical, fast interludes rather than the whole song.

Thanks.

Lunar_Strain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:47 pm 

Well... I would, just for the hell of it, like to vote diSEMBOWELMENT for this one.

Their first and only album... listen to 'Spirits Of The Tall Hills', 'A Burial At Ornans' and 'Cerulean Transience Of All My Imagined Shores'

I find it rather hard to keep up with what he's doing, even with some of his down-tempo beats.

Yes they did, but they scavenged them from animals that had died naturally. "Viking" is actually an archaic word for "Vegan".

MorbidAtheist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:14 pm 

Well, Evoken might be up your alley, they are death/doom and they have pretty technical drumming even at the slow tempos. Albums to check out are well, all of them are quite good but I particularly reccomend Quietus and Antithesis of Light.

alliaphagist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:06 pm 

Confessor fits this pretty well. Doomy music with technical varied drumming. And bat-shit vocals.

gigi_duru
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:16 am 

totally agree with the post above. dunno 'bout the vocals, it's a matter of taste. i, 4 one, grew a lot into it...

sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EseW9DYGLTE

ForNaught
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:09 am 

The first thing that popped into my head was Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine, since they use the same drummer as Iron Monkey. I don't know about technical, but I find the percussion on that (drone) album to be pretty varied and interesting, especially given the musical context!

Reply to topic