Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
wigglygore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:06 pm 

Im getting a deathcore/metalcore/horrible/generic band name overdose at the moment from this thread.

To steer it away, im a huge Agathocles fan. As most people would know, the band has been around for a hell of a long time, and probably rank's number 1 with 'Most releases from a band ever' title. For as long as they have been active, and for as many outputs they have, i must say ive never really come across to many bands that play music that 'blatantly' worships Agathocles and does it well for that matter.

There is Farenhiet AGX, which is a Jan-Agathocles side-project, which is pretty cool. Just Agathocles with a stonger powerviolence nature. Then there is Archagathus, who are pretty blatant Agathocles worship, with a few minor other influences written in. Not bad at all. Anybody have any reccomendations? Im more of a fan of the 'Mincer' era of Agathocles, but most of it kicks ass.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:04 pm 

Axel_Sikth wrote:
Well, here I am again with another request. I'm still hunting for a band with a sound similar to Insect Warfare's, as in a sound with a raw, dirty, but still clear production and songs that alternate blastbeats and thrash riffs. Vocally, I'm looking for something that alternates between high-pitched, maybe even black metal-esque shrieking and incredibly low, pretty much undiscernable guttural growls. Production-wise I'm looking for something similar to their tracks off This Comp Kills Fascists, Vol. 1. For song length, I would prefer the tracks each be no longer than 2 minutes, as my short attention span renders me incapable of focusing for more than about 2 minutes at a time.

Captain Cleanoff would be a good example of a band with a close sound, save for the vocals lacking as much intensity as Insect Warfare's and the riffs being less memorable and less repeated.

EDIT: I just realized I spoke about myself in 3rd person. What the fuck?

The closest thing I've found to Insect Warfare's grind greatness is Kill The Client's "Cleptocracy".

MMM88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:56 pm 

awm wrote:
Blood Has Been Shed listened to Meshuggah and decided to record 'Spirals'. A Life Once Lost listened to 'Spirals' and decided to record 'A Great Artist'.

Thats exactly what explains it... the latest ALOL sounds more like Pantera/Down rip off.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:05 am 

Can anybody help me find some straight up Agoraphobic Nosebleed worship? Preferably more in the vein of "Frozen Corpse Stuffed With Dope".

wigglygore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:52 am 

theposega wrote:
Can anybody help me find some straight up Agoraphobic Nosebleed worship? Preferably more in the vein of "Frozen Corpse Stuffed With Dope".

I haven't really found any AnB worship bands, but i havent really looked either. I wouldnt be suprised if there are a lot out there, considering the size of the 'bedroom-oneman band-cybergrind' community. Whether any of them are good or not, i don't know. Going by the number of offshoots these sorts of grind bands usually inspire, the majority of it is shit.

I would suggest you just try bands that produce a 'similar' sound to AnB i.e: Brutally fast/Groove/Brutally fast. If you haven't tried/or don't know these bands, i would suggest starting with:

Fuck Im Dead
Gutted With Broken Glass

Axel_Sikth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:56 am 

theposega wrote:
The closest thing I've found to Insect Warfare's grind greatness is Kill The Client's "Cleptocracy".

It's about time I check out that album then. xD. Should have done so a long time ago.

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:21 am 

Kill the Client's Cleptocracy ranks as probably my favorite grind release this year, especially considering the amount of quality grind outputs. I'd say its even better than Insect Warfare, but that's just me really.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:25 pm 

Thank you, wigglygore.

Axel_Sikth wrote:
theposega wrote:

It's about time I check out that album then. xD. Should have done so a long time ago.

Its very, very pissed off grind. Probably the best grind release of 2008.

Rippingheadache wrote:
I'd say its even better than Insect Warfare, but that's just me really.

Naw, I honestly do not think anything will ever beat Insect Warfare. World Extermination gets better with every listen. But, that is only my opinion. I'm sure some pre-90's only grindfreak would disagree.

Axel_Sikth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:58 pm 

theposega wrote:
Naw, I honestly do not think anything will ever beat Insect Warfare. World Extermination gets better with every listen. But, that is only my opinion. I'm sure some pre-90's only grindfreak would disagree.

Heh, World Extermination never really clicked with me, though that may be because I didn't give it too many spins. Either way though, I prefer my grind albums to be as short as possible, the reason for that being I find the adrenaline rush I get from good grind decreases with increased listening. It really depends on my mood though, and I think that only really happens when I listen to one artist or album, though I don't have to listen to them repeatedly. For my money, Endless Execution Thru Violent Restitution is the best Insect Warfare release.

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:47 am 

okay, i can understand making a metalcore/deathcore thread for the small percentage of "metalheads" that like these styles of "metal", but please, DON'T throw grindcore in with those genres. we can add grindcore to a better thread title with more similar styles. add screamo instead, lol. i don't want to see Napalm Death on a fucking Vans Warped Tour ever!

Axel_Sikth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:33 am 

Eurnonymous wrote:
okay, i can understand making a metalcore/deathcore thread for the small percentage of "metalheads" that like these styles of "metal", but please, DON'T throw grindcore in with those genres. we can add grindcore to a better thread title with more similar styles. add screamo instead, lol. i don't want to see Napalm Death on a fucking Vans Warped Tour ever!

Seeing as you weren't around during the early days of this thread...

rexxz wrote:
WinterBliss wrote:
Why is Grindcore lumped with these two genres?

all-core + metal derivations.

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:36 am 

Anyone here a fan of Parlamentarisk Sodomi? They're not featured here on the archives for some reason but their latest CD is just flat-out fucking ridiculous. Forget Kill the Client, this is catchiest grind release this year. For those who prefer old-school grind along the lines of Terrorizer/Repulsion then I highly reccomend seeking this gem out.

Qwerr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:55 am 

Rippingheadache wrote:
Anyone here a fan of Parlamentarisk Sodomi? They're not featured here on the archives for some reason but their latest CD is just flat-out fucking ridiculous. Forget Kill the Client, this is catchiest grind release this year. For those who prefer old-school grind along the lines of Terrorizer/Repulsion then I highly reccomend seeking this gem out.

Nice find there!
Another band that deserves more praise is Sayyadina, very catchy grindcore in the vein of Nasum and Pig Destroyer.

Axel_Sikth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:07 am 

Rippingheadache wrote:

I came across them in a Grind and Punishment article sometime ago. They're fairly decent. I've yet to finish listening to their latest and there are some nice riffs here and there, but nothing that I find incredible. Population Reduction, now those are some sweet riffs.

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:54 am 

Axel_Sikth wrote:
Seeing as you weren't around during the early days of this thread...

rexxz wrote:
WinterBliss wrote:
Why is Grindcore lumped with these two genres?

all-core + metal derivations.

ehh..

Axel_Sikth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:29 am 

Eurnonymous wrote:
ehh..

And you respond thusly because...?

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:21 am 

Axel_Sikth wrote:
Eurnonymous wrote:
ehh..

And you respond thusly because...?

i dunno, let's forget about this and move on.

Axel_Sikth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:46 am 

Eurnonymous wrote:
i dunno, let's forget about this and move on.

Curious. Alright then.

So does anyone here know any good blogs or websites dedicated to grindcore that are worth recommending? I don't know any except for Grind and Punishment.

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:36 am 

Grindgore.net. One of the best sites dedicated to grindcore that I know of.

JustinBaker8484
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:29 am 

Anybody lookin for some brutal deathcore that isnt just bree bree shitty breakdowns listen to I Declare War. There actually very good and have slight melodic parts in thier songs with some of the most truely brutal breakdowns you will hear, not the stupid boring ones that ruin a song.

Axel_Sikth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:31 am 

Rippingheadache wrote:
Grindgore.net. One of the best sites dedicated to grindcore that I know of.

Looks pretty sweet. Thanks man.

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:13 pm 

Recommend grindcore in the vein of Phobia's Cruel.

Thanks!

Celtic_Fire_666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:28 am 

Does anyone know of,

A: A band which uses a similar vocal style to Barney from Napalm Death,

B: A band that sounds like a cross between Goremageddon: The Saw and the Carnage Done era Aborted and Anaal Nathrakh?

I'm the lead vocalist for my band and we are trying to decide on a style and i was thinking about the latter but am not sure if it would sound even remotely good, so i was interested in seeing if a band used that style (or something similar) to compare.
If this dude lives like Methusaleh, he could still have his whole life ahead of him. I think a 1000 year sentence would have sent a better message: Not even your fictional biblical ancestors would get outta this, pal.

Celtic_Fire_666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:30 am 

Also anyone who wants gritty chaotic grind should checkout Watchmaker.
If this dude lives like Methusaleh, he could still have his whole life ahead of him. I think a 1000 year sentence would have sent a better message: Not even your fictional biblical ancestors would get outta this, pal.

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:23 am 

Axel_Sikth wrote:
So does anyone here know any good blogs or websites dedicated to grindcore that are worth recommending? I don't know any except for Grind and Punishment.

not a blog or webpage, but i was looking through the Napalm Death band page on the Metal Archives earlier and within it this book was mentioned: "Choosing Death: The Improbable History Of Death Metal And Grindcore."

Axel_Sikth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:45 am 

Eurnonymous wrote:
not a blog or webpage, but i was looking through the Napalm Death band page on the Metal Archives earlier and within it this book was mentioned: "Choosing Death: The Improbable History Of Death Metal And Grindcore."

I've heard of that book before, though I've yet to hear anything that piques my interest.

wigglygore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:07 am 

Axel_Sikth wrote:
Eurnonymous wrote:

I've heard of that book before, though I've yet to hear anything that piques my interest.

I bought it, but i got quite bored of it pretty quickly, and haven't had the interest in going back to finish it off. The writing just didn't really manage to hold my attention, and i often found myself reading thru sentences and skipping forward to the next paragraph for something more interesting. I think you would enjoy it however, if you are a Napalm Death/Carcass/Morbid Angel fan, as the book (the first section at least) just seemed to revolve over and constantly around these bands.

Axel_Sikth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:23 am 

I think I'll pass then. Not too interested in any of those bands.

RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:04 pm 

I love short and sweat grindcore but I also really like longer Grindcore songs that somewhat progress. One band that comes to mind is Pig Destroyer, more so on the album Terrifyer. Tracks like Loathsome, Alexandria, The Machete Twins, Girl in The Slayer Jacket. Even the more recent Napalm Death has the same direction. Maybe even similar to Terrorizer?

Im not the biggest grindcore freak so I wouldnt know where to look but if anyone could give me some recomendations?, it would be very much apreciated.

Zero_Nowhere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:18 pm 

RevBau wrote:
I love short and sweat grindcore but I also really like longer Grindcore songs that somewhat progress. One band that comes to mind is Pig Destroyer, more so on the album Terrifyer. Tracks like Loathsome, Alexandria, The Machete Twins, Girl in The Slayer Jacket. Even the more recent Napalm Death has the same direction. Maybe even similar to Terrorizer?

Im not the biggest grindcore freak so I wouldnt know where to look but if anyone could give me some recomendations?, it would be very much apreciated.

Check out Brutal Truth (moreso after the debut, but their first album has hints of that as well) and Misery Index (earlier the better, they get more death and less grind on every subsequent release except for the very grindy Hang Em High EP)

Leechmaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:35 pm 

Celtic_Fire_666 wrote:
Does anyone know of,

A: A band which uses a similar vocal style to Barney from Napalm Death,

I recommend checking out Fear Factory's first album Soul Of A New Machine, especially the track Flesh Hold. Burton's aggressive grunts and growls sound pretty damn similar to Barney if you ask me.

sumorabbit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:45 pm 

This band really doesn't fit a category, but if you get the chance, listen to Early Graves.

They consider themselves punk *shrugs shoulders* but thats bullshit. Give them a shot, the production on their first CD is crap, but the music is decent. Nice guys too, I got to talk to them at their Minnesota show last fall.
________
TOYOTA MZ ENGINE

Last edited by sumorabbit on Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
wigglygore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:56 am 

wigglygore wrote:
im a huge Agathocles fan. As most people would know, the band has been around for a hell of a long time, and probably rank's number 1 with 'Most releases from a band ever' title. For as long as they have been active, and for as many outputs they have, i must say ive never really come across to many bands that play music that 'blatantly' worships Agathocles and does it well for that matter.

There is Farenhiet AGX, which is a Jan-Agathocles side-project, which is pretty cool. Just Agathocles with a stonger powerviolence nature. Then there is Archagathus, who are pretty blatant Agathocles worship, with a few minor other influences written in. Not bad at all. Anybody have any reccomendations? Im more of a fan of the 'Mincer' era of Agathocles, but most of it kicks ass.

Hmm...no Agathocles fans?

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:58 am 

Everyone who reads this thread needs to check out some Spanish grindcore. Machetazo, Tu Carne etc. Those spaniards know how to grind.

Randallt3mp
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:56 pm 

I really dont understand how ANYONE could like Converge. I must be listening to the wrong converge. People are always saying its the only good metalcore, yet to me its the most atrocious noise to enter my ears. Are tey similar to darkest hour? which i find slightly more tolerable.

Anyway. Some people like breakdowns, even though imho they are anti-musical except when executed well and interstingly, by some bands.
I think the musicians in Despised Icon have talent, but after listening to songs other than In the Arms of Perdidition, I realized they really love to implement annoying breakdowns into their songs. So moving on I found Through the Eyes of the Dead, while though a bit repetitive, sound like they found the right mix between death metal and metalcore/hardcore. I also like all shall perish, they dont breakdown too much and when they do, its usually tolerable if not interesting. And I like their sort of experimental/prog chaotic direction with their music, whatever that means.

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:52 am 

Converge's vocals are atrocious.

No, it doesn't sound like Darkest Hour.

Maybe you'd like Prayer for Cleansing. To be honest with you, I am not sure how well they hold up because I haven't heard them in a long time. The album is on M-A, though.

HumanWaste5150
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:25 am 

wigglygore wrote:
wigglygore wrote:
im a huge Agathocles fan. As most people would know, the band has been around for a hell of a long time, and probably rank's number 1 with 'Most releases from a band ever' title. For as long as they have been active, and for as many outputs they have, i must say ive never really come across to many bands that play music that 'blatantly' worships Agathocles and does it well for that matter.

I like what I heard but its a band I really want to listen but am put off by the sheer amount of releases. reviews also state they like to change musically often.

MegaHassan wrote:
Everyone who reads this thread needs to check out some Spanish grindcore. Machetazo, Tu Carne etc. Those spaniards know how to grind.

Preaching to the choir, buddy. Bands like Machetazo, Looking For An Answer and Nashgul are quality bands with true grindcore spirit.
We fought to the last breath
Wonder if we will shake hands
Beyond the gates of death

wigglygore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:05 am 

HumanWaste5150 wrote:
wigglygore wrote:
wigglygore wrote:

I like what I heard but its a band I really want to listen but am put off by the sheer amount of releases. reviews also state they like to change musically often.

I really wouldn't say they 'change musically often', Agathocles always have sounded like Agathocles. Their formula hasn't changed all too much over the years, despite the rotating band members and insane amount of releases. Its just always been short grindcore with tones of crust/punk/metal/powerviolence. The production on the recordings changes greatly and some albums are more blast-laden and others more groove-laden, thats about it tho. While their not a definitive "You've heard one song, you've heard them all" band like Mortician can tend to be, their not far off.

If you are interested in checking them out more, if you havent already, check out the songs on these fansites:

http://www.myspace.com/agathocles12
www.myspace.com/xagathoclesx

If you want an album reccomendation out of the heap of releases, i would suggest trying to find one of these albums to start off with. They are all straightup Agathocles "mincecore".

Mincer
Superiority Overdose
Thanks for Your Hostility
Bomb Brussels (EP)
Razor Sharp Daggers

Celtic_Fire_666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:07 am 

Best Deathcore band hands down, Misericordiam, check out their Unanimity And The Cessation Of Hostility ep if you don't believe me, they are quite possibly the most brutal band on the planet (on this ep)

MMM88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:35 pm 

awm wrote:
Converge's vocals are atrocious.

No, it doesn't sound like Darkest Hour.

Maybe you'd like Prayer for Cleansing. To be honest with you, I am not sure how well they hold up because I haven't heard them in a long time. The album is on M-A, though.

Converge is a good band overall, the vocals are nothing special indeed but they are tolerable I think, anyway I think Botch & Coalesce are much better bands.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 35  Next