Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:18 pm 

blodiapunchingjin wrote:
ThrashTilDeath3 wrote:
Watershed (a fav) after Ghost Reveries (a least-fav).

Definitely agree there.

I'm actuallly the opposite. Ghost Revs is one of the only albums I can stand by the band (of four albums), and Watershed I find to be their worst.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Wordless_Hon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:45 am 

kampfplatz666 wrote:
Prometheus, the inconsistent mess that brought down one of the greatest bands of all time after their bland but still palatable IX Equilibrium

fixed

TheDragon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:19 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Give Me Your Soul was really weak and enervated.

I beg to differ, I think the album was brilliant. The King almost never fails to deliver, only Abigail II was a bit of a disappointment. It didn't live up to the name of the original and came between two other great albums.

Mateilkrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:38 am 

Wordless_Hon wrote:
kampfplatz666 wrote:
Prometheus, the inconsistent mess that brought down one of the greatest bands of all time after their bland but still palatable IX Equilibrium

fixed

To be on the safe side, I'll say Anthems to the Welkin At Dusk followed by IX Equilibrium. A masterful album regarded as their best by some, followed by one with a lot of experimentation and conflicting ideas, considered a low point in their discography.

It seems like there's never a middle-man with Prometheus. To some it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, and to others it epitomizes everything wrong with humanity.

Jormungandr_Sorvali
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:44 pm 

Arezon wrote:
absurder21 wrote:
Insomnium's In the hall of waiting is easily their worst, where as the following album, Above the Weeping World, is their best.

In the Halls of Awaiting is their best album imo.
Above the Weeping World was good the first I listened to it, but I got bored of it pretty quickly.

I like the new one most, actually

0kill
Patron Saint of Burglary

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:54 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
blodiapunchingjin wrote:
ThrashTilDeath3 wrote:
Watershed (a fav) after Ghost Reveries (a least-fav).

Definitely agree there.

I'm actuallly the opposite. Ghost Revs is one of the only albums I can stand by the band (of four albums), and Watershed I find to be their worst.

This, pretty much. I do like Opeth in general but I do agree that Ghost Reveries might be their best effort and Watershed is definitely their worst.

- John Calvin.

MetalHearted
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:09 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Give Me Your Soul was really weak and enervated.

Eh, I thought it was fine. Definitely better than Abigail II, but doesn't live up to the classics.

Revengeance
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:41 pm 

Firstly, I'd like to say I endorse Atheist's Elements and Death's Sound of Perseverance as my favourite albums by the respective artists, without QUESTION(able presence). Both keep my attention the whole time and Elements is, in my not-so-humble opinion, the only real jazz-metal album to not also be some other thing as well; Cynic's Focus was as much a general prog album as jazz metal, don't even bother bringing up Dream Theater for the same reason, and bands like Aghora get off too much on having a female vocalist and being vaguely alternative metally.

But in response to the main point... I agree that Celtic Frost's Monotheist is infinitely better than whatever the shit that piece of crap released before it was. Monotheist is one of my all-time favs. Another great example is Onslaught's Killing Peace after In Search of Sanity - and these I can confidently say are definitely they're best and worst, respectively.

As for the reverse... a band that cut out in their prime and then made a comeback album that sucked dong would probably fit the mold... maybe Dissection? I'm not a big fan, but if they're last release before disappearing was well-regarded, that'd probably qualify. There's also Pantera's Reinventing the Steel; I LIKE it but it's the worst of the era they didn't ignore material from and pretend never happened - Cowboys through Trendkill is amazing and my favs are Far Beyond Driven and Trendkill; and Live 101 Proof is what got me into Pantera.

selkirk1991
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:25 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
selkirk1991 wrote:
High on Fire's Blessed Black Wings (their worst) followed by Death is this Communion (their best).

What's wrong with a little BBW?

Joking aside, I would say their "worst" was the debut. It's not a bad album by any means, but it just doesn't have their signature sound fully developed, yet.

Nothing's wrong with BBW, I just find it doesn't hold my interest that much compared to other HOF albums. It's also the album where I least like Matt Pike's vocals.

As for their debut, I personally like it a lot. It's doomier than the later albums, but manages to add some thrash to it while keeping the trance-inducing doom vibe. And if you get the re-release, you're treated with a great cover of Celtic Frost's "The Usurper".

Death is this Communion I find perfects what they were trying to do with BBW, manages to throw in some kickass acoustic stuff (Khanrad's Wall), and also is just their most passionate work in my opinion.

David_Brent
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:41 pm 

Summoning - Stronghold (worst)
Summoning - Let mortal heroes sing your fame (best , or maybe dol guldur ^^)

The flower kings - The rainmaker (worst)
The flower kings - Unfold the future (best)

Evoken - Quietus (worst)
Evoken - Antithesis of light (best)

While I don't give a damn about the next two bands, I still think they count for this topic:

Testament - Demonic (worst)
Testament - The gathering (best)

Nargaroth - black metal ist krieg (worst)
Nargaroth - Geliebte des regens (best)

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:42 pm 

David_Brent wrote:
Evoken - Quietus (worst)

Both albums are really great. Quietus is definitely better than their first two albums.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:03 pm 

rexxz wrote:
David_Brent wrote:
Evoken - Quietus (worst)

Both albums are really great. Quietus is definitely better than their first two albums.

I love "Quietus", actually, and like "Embrace the EMptiness" a hell of a lot..but I never got into "Antithesis" at all. Somehow it didn't sound like them.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:16 pm 

I'll throw in Gojira. The Link is probably their best. Great mix of groove and riffs. Then they come out with From Mars To Sirius, which was too long and, while it's good, just didn't live up to the standard that The Link set.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

HaggardBastard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:21 pm 

Regarding Breeding the Spawn, I never thought that was a terrible album. The production ruined it, sure, the tinny guitar tone above all, and the logo on the cover is horribly pixely (go 'head, pull out your copy and have a look at it), but the music is top-notch.

The first band that comes to mind with this is Dismember. I never thought it was a bad album myself, but Massive Killing Capacity from '95 has historically gotten shit on, or at least recognized as a weak spot: even the band themselves seem to agree (cf. Choosing Death). Two years later, however, they released Death Metal, which is still probably my favorite from them, and at the very least a savage monument to the best of everything that Swedish death metal produced in the early-mid '90s.

[edit]I have to agree about IX Equilibrium following Anthems.... I bought the former the day it came out, having obsessed over the latter for nearly a year, and I was so, so disappointed. Anthems is easily my personal number one, and to follow it up with IX E felt like a slap in the face at the time. Then again, I was 13 and susceptible to feeling betrayed by my favorite bands, but IX still to this day feels sterile and uninspired. From any other band it may have been considered a masterpiece, and I still respect Emperor for trying to move sideways (not forward) and try different things, but given the circumstances, around which I think ultimately all truly great art largely depends, IX E just doesn't cut it.

Last edited by HaggardBastard on Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeyC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:24 pm 

HaggardBastard wrote:
the logo on the cover is horribly pixely (go 'head, pull out your copy and have a look at it)

I don't see it. :scratch: Looks fine to me.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

HaggardBastard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:30 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
HaggardBastard wrote:
the logo on the cover is horribly pixely (go 'head, pull out your copy and have a look at it)

That's my fault; I had meant the title. If you look around the edges of the words, I'm sure you'll see it.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:46 pm 

HaggardBastard wrote:
MikeyC wrote:
HaggardBastard wrote:

That's my fault; I had meant the title. If you look around the edges of the words, I'm sure you'll see it.

Ah. Well, I can see it a little bit, but not enough for it to be a distraction.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Mateilkrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:32 pm 

HaggardBastard wrote:
[edit]I have to agree about IX Equilibrium following Anthems.... I bought the former the day it came out, having obsessed over the latter for nearly a year, and I was so, so disappointed. Anthems is easily my personal number one, and to follow it up with IX E felt like a slap in the face at the time. Then again, I was 13 and susceptible to feeling betrayed by my favorite bands, but IX still to this day feels sterile and uninspired. From any other band it may have been considered a masterpiece, and I still respect Emperor for trying to move sideways (not forward) and try different things, but given the circumstances, around which I think ultimately all truly great art largely depends, IX E just doesn't cut it.

I'm probably the minority here, but I like IX Equilibrium a lot. It wasn't as great as the two before it, and it may have some pretty out-there moments, but I still listen to it quite a bit.

"EYE-CAROUUUUUUSSSSSSSS! I DAAAAAAAAAAAAAERE YOOOOUUUUUUUUUUE!!!!!!!!"

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:11 pm 

Agreed. Although Emperor is a band I hardly listen to nowadays, I still find alot of enjoyment in their two later outputs. IX Equilibrium kind of suffers from a weak end, and Prometheus, well it's a pretty rediculous album, but I still find it to be fairly enjoyable.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:19 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
rexxz wrote:
David_Brent wrote:
Evoken - Quietus (worst)

I love "Quietus", actually, and like "Embrace the EMptiness" a hell of a lot..but I never got into "Antithesis" at all. Somehow it didn't sound like them.

I love Antithesis, it's my favorite of theirs. Every minute of it is intense and full of darkness, as the name implies.

MetalcoreMad
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:54 pm 

I'm probably going to get a load of hate mail from this but here goes.
When As I Lay Dying released thier third record Shadows Are Security in 2005 it fell far short of expecations. Having only really three good songs on the whole album it was certinally a big dissapoinment for a lot of fans.
However, when they released in 2007 An Ocean Between Us fans lapped up the album, with it getting very high reviews and even a number 8 place on the Billboard 200!
This is certinally their best album and personally my favortie album of all time.

Mateilkrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:14 pm 

Morbid Angel, maybe? Some would consider Covenant to be their best, followed by the groove-laiden/not up to par Domination. Followed by Formulas Fatal to the Flesh, which was a monstrous return to form. And as someone mentioned earlier, Gateways to Annihilation followed by Heretic.

DraakUla
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:05 pm 

Kalmah's For the Revolution is their worst imo. Not that it's bad but I don't enjoy it as much as I enjoy The Black Waltz.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3