Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:03 am 

The best Amon Amarth is clearly the debut album. With Oden is good but not really as good as people would like you to think.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:26 am 

Empyreal wrote:
The best Amon Amarth is clearly the debut album. With Oden is good but not really as good as people would like you to think.

To me WOOOS utterly destroyed Fate of Norns. I loved most of the tracks on it, but recently I checked out the debut and it was better than the first time I heard it years ago. Fantastic album that definitely beats WOOOS by a bit.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

blodiapunchingjin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:33 am 

heavymetalbackwards wrote:
blodiapunchingjin wrote:
heavymetalbackwards wrote:
blodiapunchingjin wrote:
JackRog1104 wrote:
blodiapunchingjin wrote:
Metallica's ...And Justice For All after Master Of Puppets.

Which one are you saying is the best?

...And Justice For All.

Master of Puppets is worse than St. Anger and the Load albums??

Master Of Puppets is the 2nd worst of their first 4. Nowhere close to the Loads or St. Anger, though. Forgot about what the original post specified. Sorry. :nono:
What's the worst of the first 4, then? Ride The Lightning. Just listened to it about 30 minutes ago, and I like it even less than before.

:lol: The funny thing is, now that you say you were excluding everything after the first four, as well as Ride the Lightning, your original post of "...And Justice For all after Master of Puppets" means pretty much nothing.

Yeah, I know. Sorry for being stupid. :durr:

pilawhitetrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:35 am 

My Dying Bride hit a low with 34.788% and came back with I think an underrated Light at the end of the world cd. Some of their most epic work is on that disc IMO - She is the dark, title track, christliar

Malevolent Creation - after disappointing Stillborn they came back with a vengeance with Eternal.

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:45 am 

Mateilkrist wrote:
Suffocation deserves a mention, similar to that of Bolt Thrower's. Effigy of the Forgotten is considered a DM masterpiece, while Breeding the Spawn was a bit lacking. Mike Smith even left the band because of that album. They bounced back with Pierced From Within, which is considered on of their best.

You are saying Suffocation, Souls to Deny and Blood Oath are better than Breeding the Spawn?! Generally, Breeding the Spawn isn't viewed as being as good as Effigy or Pierced, but isn't it held higher than their later material?

Anyways, Breeding the Spawn is hands down my favourite Suffo album, it's just so... evil.

NikeOfSamothrace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:11 am 

I think Megadeth's "Endgame" made up for the last two releases personally.

Mateilkrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:27 am 

andersbang wrote:
You are saying Suffocation, Souls to Deny and Blood Oath are better than Breeding the Spawn?! Generally, Breeding the Spawn isn't viewed as being as good as Effigy or Pierced, but isn't it held higher than their later material?

Yes it is held in higher regard, but I was only referring to the first few albums, which makes their newer ones irrelevant to the conversation. :p

The_Juggernaught
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:14 pm 

Not seen anyone mention Risk -> Rust in Peace. You can debate whether Risk was the WORST with the amount of garbage Megadeth have made but the transition from such an awful album to Rust in Peace was a huge one.

~Guest 3496
Exterminator 666 Does Not Answer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:16 pm 

The_Juggernaught wrote:
Not seen anyone mention Risk -> Rust in Peace. You can debate whether Risk was the WORST with the amount of garbage Megadeth have made but the transition from such an awful album to Rust in Peace was a huge one.

o_O

I think a lot of people in this thread misunderstood the OP (it seems he means bands who released the worst album and followed it with their best, not the other way around), but others just seem to have totally fucked conceptions of time and/or sequence.

Also, I don't know why Fate of Norns is so reviled. I don't see a huge difference in quality between any two Amon Amarth albums.

Last edited by ~Guest 3496 on Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mateilkrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:17 pm 

The_Juggernaught wrote:

You are REEEALLLY mixed up on your timeline, bud.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:29 pm 

PhantomOTO wrote:
I think a lot of people in this thread misunderstood the OP (it seems he means bands who released the worst album and followed it with their best, not the other way around)

The very first sentence in the OP says, "and vice versa."

I'll throw in The Berzerker here, too. They release Dissimulate, which I think is their best album (just), then after that they release World Of Lies, which is by far their weakest. Far too guitar orientated, and not enough emphasis on good songs. Good thing the two after that made up for it.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

~Guest 3496
Exterminator 666 Does Not Answer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:32 pm 

I assumed he was simply stating that the same is also true (with the example of Atheist), but with the intended focus of discussion on the topic line (expanded on in the second paragraph). Nevermind me, then.

299796kms
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:09 pm 

pilawhitetrash wrote:
My Dying Bride hit a low with 34.788% and came back with I think an underrated Light at the end of the world cd. Some of their most epic work is on that disc IMO - She is the dark, title track, christliar

I agree about Light but I actually think MDB's lowest point is Gods of the sun. An album that's utterly dull, lifeless and generic sounding. At least on % they were trying some new things, its not their best album of course but its miles above Gods of the Sun.

JackRog1104
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:24 pm 

blodiapunchingjin wrote:
Master Of Puppets is the 2nd worst of their first 4. Nowhere close to the Loads or St. Anger, though. Forgot about what the original post specified. Sorry. :nono:
What's the worst of the first 4, then? Ride The Lightning. Just listened to it about 30 minutes ago, and I like it even less than before.

Ride The Lightning is my favourite of the first 4.

For me: Ride The Lightning > Master of Puppets > ...And Justice For All > Kill 'Em All.

I didn't like James' vocals on Kill 'Em All at all.

Alice In Chains releasing Black Gives Way To Blue (their best) after their self-titled album (worst)

absurder21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:29 pm 

Insomnium's In the hall of waiting is easily their worst, where as the following album, Above the Weeping World, is their best.

Arezon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:41 pm 

absurder21 wrote:
Insomnium's In the hall of waiting is easily their worst, where as the following album, Above the Weeping World, is their best.

In the Halls of Awaiting is their best album imo.
Above the Weeping World was good the first I listened to it, but I got bored of it pretty quickly.

NikeOfSamothrace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:56 pm 

I wanted to add Lacuna Coil's "Shallow Life" which I thought hands down wasn't up to par with the rest of their catalog. The album before that "Karmacode" wasn't so bad in my opinion, I loved it but "ComaLies" (which is before Karmacode) is considered to be their best work.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:35 pm 

Arezon wrote:
absurder21 wrote:

Above the Weeping World was good the first I listened to it, but I got bored of it pretty quickly.

No to both of you. First of all, Since the Day It All Came Down was the album after their debut (In the Halls of Awaiting), and ATWW came after that. Second of all, Insomnium do not have a "worst" album. They are all godly incarnations.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:38 pm 

Snowgrave wrote:
Arezon wrote:
absurder21 wrote:
:durr:

less :durr:

No to both of you. First of all, Since the Day It All Came Down was the album after their debut (In the Halls of Awaiting), and ATWW came after that. Second of all, Insomnium do not have a "worst" album. They are all godly incarnations.

The truth
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:19 am 

Fates Warning's Night on Brocken is pretty generic and uninteresting aside from the last two songs, but The Spectre Within is my favorite. Funny since there's just one year between the two, and since both are still very much traditional/power with few of the prog-leanings of Awaken the Guardian.

Terrible Certainty is the one Kreator album where they actually balance the extreme thrash violence and the polish of their less-than-brutal albums, and as such is my favorite. Extreme Aggression is basically German-whiffle, an abomination more hideous than any attempted goth/industral/thrash of their late 90's period.

crust53
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:23 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

To me WOOOS utterly destroyed Fate of Norns. I loved most of the tracks on it, but recently I checked out the debut and it was better than the first time I heard it years ago. Fantastic album that definitely beats WOOOS by a bit.

That's what I thought as well while reading the posts. I prefer OSFTGH to WOOOS.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:55 pm 

One I thought of right away was Katatonia. I love all their stuff, but if I had to pick their overall weakest album it would definitely be Viva Emptiness. I don't think the album sucks, but it's defintiely got some major flaws. After hearing it I didn't expect much from the follow-up album The Great Cold Distance, but I was blown away. All the bad things about Viva Emptiness were gone (the noisy out-of-place guitar parts, the crappy drum sound, muddy production, etc) and it all was replaced by a perfect production, their best performances, and incredible songwriting. Definitely their best album in my opinion (and it turns out their new album Night is the New Day is just as good!).

kampfplatz666
Sturmbannführer Borat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:20 pm 

Prometheus, the great symphonic blackened DM/BM work of Emperor; after their shitty IX Equilibrium which has just two good songs and the rest is generic and bad pseudo-blackened DM riffings chaoticly put together...

whensunburnsred
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:20 pm 

W.A.S.P. released Still Not Black Enough after The Crimson Idol. I love this last one, while SNBE is probably the weakest album Blackie released...

absurder21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:50 am 

Snowgrave wrote:
Arezon wrote:
absurder21 wrote:

Oh shi-
My bad. IITHOW, it's not horrible, it's just bland.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:24 am 

Anaal Nathrakh releasing Eschaton after the borderline metalcore Dom En Es Dignus (One day I'll actually bother findign out what the album name really is). In the Constellation of the Black Widow possibly ruins this because it may take over as their best though.

Blut aus Nord's newy is damn close to the best thing they've done, following the just-a-little-bit-too-dissonent Odinist.

ArciniuM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:46 am 

Agree with 'Above the Weeping World' being Insomnium's best. The two other previous albums were great, but it's the only album that takes you on a journey from start to finish. I'm not really sure about 'The Dark' yet, although i'll concede the atmosphere on TD is incredible at times.
I'll throw in Immortal. The transition from 'Blizzard Beasts' to 'At the Heart of Winter" really threw me back. While BB froze me, ATHOW chilled the spine and kicked my ass.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:37 am 

I can't believe no one mentioned yet how Stratovarius went from their abysmal self-titled to the very-awesome Polaris.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:03 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Anaal Nathrakh releasing Eschaton after the borderline metalcore Dom En Es Dignus (One day I'll actually bother findign out what the album name really is). In the Constellation of the Black Widow possibly ruins this because it may take over as their best though.

Yes on Anaal Nathrakh, but I'm thinking different albums. I would have to say Hell is Empty was perhaps their worst offering because of just how watered down it sounded. It wasn't nearly as loud, aggressive, and passionate as their previous album was, and came as a gigantic disappointment for me. Then they released In the Constellation of the Black Widow, which is, for me, the peak of what they've done.

ThrashTilDeath3
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:42 am 

Watershed (a fav) after Ghost Reveries (a least-fav).

and Opeth again...

Still Life (a fav) after MAYH (a least-fav).

blodiapunchingjin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:02 pm 

ThrashTilDeath3 wrote:
Watershed (a fav) after Ghost Reveries (a least-fav).

Definitely agree there.

pyroleprechaun
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:32 am 

Well, depending on my mood for Morbid Angel:

Best - Gateways to Annihilation
Worst - Heretic

but I change my mind all the time.

Exodus came close. Bonded by Blood is their best, but their second album does nothing for me. Force of Habit is absolutely their worst though.

So now I just thought of Testament. Not sure what album is worse - The Ritual or Demonic, but lots of people consider The Gathering to be their best album, which came afterwards. Personally, I can never decided which is their best...

selkirk1991
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:21 am 

High on Fire's Blessed Black Wings (their worst) followed by Death is this Communion (their best).

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:58 am 

Worst - History of a Time To Come
Best - Dreamweaver

Worst - Never Say Die
Best - Heaven And Hell

299796kms
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:55 pm 

How does History of a Time to Come qualify as worst, especially when Sabbat released Mourning has Broken???????????

varg_the_impaler
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:43 pm 

Mateilkrist wrote:
Suffocation deserves a mention, similar to that of Bolt Thrower's. Effigy of the Forgotten is considered a DM masterpiece, while Breeding the Spawn was a bit lacking. Mike Smith even left the band because of that album. They bounced back with Pierced From Within, which is considered on of their best.

You bastard... that's what I was going to say. Breeding the Spawn is a fucking masterpiece, but it's totally destroyed by horrible production.

Mateilkrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:19 pm 

varg_the_impaler wrote:
You bastard... that's what I was going to say. Breeding the Spawn is a fucking masterpiece, but it's totally destroyed by horrible production.

True that. Roadrunner is a shitty label now, and it was a shitty label back then. Couldn't shell out just a bit more money to put out a quality recording?

MetalHearted
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:24 pm 

Well, I wouldn't necessarily say that The Puppet Master is King Diamond's best, but its definitely up there and it comes after Abigail II, which I found to be somewhat mediocre (which is saying something, since every other release has caused me to orgasm at least once).

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:25 pm 

Give Me Your Soul was really weak and enervated.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:36 pm 

selkirk1991 wrote:
High on Fire's Blessed Black Wings (their worst) followed by Death is this Communion (their best).

What's wrong with a little BBW?

Joking aside, I would say their "worst" was the debut. It's not a bad album by any means, but it just doesn't have their signature sound fully developed, yet.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next