Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
prznmtlhed93
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:51 pm 

Recently, at my school, a debate has risen among our little group of metalheads. The issue is: which era of Black Sabbath do you prefer? The Ozzy era, or the Dio era? Or, which one do you think was better. Now, remember I'm not asking about the abilities of the two singers, I'm asking about the quality of metal that each era produced.

Also, keep in mind that this topic is for DISCUSSION, not just stating: Ozzy; and leaving it at that.

Another note: We are also considering Heavan and Hell as a Black Sabbath Dio era.

Hircine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:53 pm 

Ozzy, his voice fits in better I think. But as a general singer and solo artist, Dio is superior.

Wolfgong wrote:
By the way I am straight and male and get a kick outta tricking chicks to get into their pussy

ShoresOfLakeHuron
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:23 pm 

Ozzy.
Member #1 of the Pro-Folk Metal Front

ScratchMyBack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:38 pm 

I like Ozzy better because most of Sabbath's classics were sung by Ozzy. About Dio, I prefer his solo material.

in_human_form
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:40 pm 

I enjoy Dio's voice more and he is definitely the more skilled vocalist. I also really really like the new H&H album.

My vote, however, goes to Ozzy. The 1-2-3 punch of Black Sabbath, Paranoid, and Master of Reality is just too incredible and ground-breaking to me. The solos and lyrics are enjoyable, but the riffs (Black Sabbath, Iron Man, Electric Wizard, Sweet Leaf, Into the Void, etc.), as well as the awesomeness that is Fairies Wear Boots simply cannot be beat. As well, Ozzy has Dirty Women under his belt, which I consider to be their best song ever (though it was on a mediocre album).

zzerk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:40 pm 

I don't have a preference. I like each era for what it is. They are both amazing and monumental.

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:59 pm 

I prefer the Ozzy era, in particular the first five albums. The Dio era is great too, but when I think of Black Sabbath, I think of the Ozzy era.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:02 pm 

I don't know too much about Sabbath, but: riffs wise-Ozzy era, vocals wise-Dio era.

~Guest 193166
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:09 pm 

In my opinion Sabbath makes better music with Ozzy but honestly I think Dio has a better singing voice. I would still have to go with the Ozzy era of Sabbath though, partially because they have albums like "Master of Reality" and "Paranoid", which are some of the best metal has ever had.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:31 pm 

Dio era, "Heaven and Hell" just barely edges out "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" in my opinion. Some of Iommi's best riffs were written during the Ozzy years, but as far as complete songwriting and performance goes, the Dio era has a slight edge. In terms of solo music, particularly since 1987, Dio is the hands down winner.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

giventotherising
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:33 pm 

zzerk wrote:
I don't have a preference. I like each era for what it is. They are both amazing and monumental.

This. But surely I will say Dio solo stuff is better then his Sabbath era..

Gorgo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:05 pm 

"Heaven and Hell" was pritty good, but you just can't beat Black Sabbath with Ozzy.

http://www.myspace.com/onrust1
"Acoustic music"

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:16 pm 

I don't really like comparing them because both eras sound very different to me. If I had to choose, I would say Dio-era. Dio is certainly a more capable vocalist and I simply find myself listening to the Dio albums more than the Ozzy ones.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:19 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
Dio era, "Heaven and Hell" just barely edges out "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" in my opinion. Some of Iommi's best riffs were written during the Ozzy years, but as far as complete songwriting and performance goes, the Dio era has a slight edge. In terms of solo music, particularly since 1987, Dio is the hands down winner.

Glad to have some support from the man himself! :hyper:
Yes, I'd have to throw my support for the Dio era, it was during this time that the band finally threw off the feel of writing albums that were simply collections of slightly disconnected songs (the debut and Ozzy's last two, and perhaps Vol. 4), and put out full, complete and undeniably satisfying albums. I obviously cannot deny the excellence of albums like Master of Reality, Sabotage or Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, but when I listen to Heaven and Hell or Mob Rules, I get a sense of a METAL band that knows exactly what they're doing, where they are going, and how they're going to get there.

I'd also like to mention that the Dio era was not only unique in Sabbath's history by being the first to introduce a power metal edge with Heaven and Hell, but it later tackled the musical quality of the Ozzy era with stunning success. I.e. matching the aggressive, straightforward, simple and short formula of "Hole in the Sky" and "Supernaut" with "Eating the Cannibals" and "The Mob Rules," the epic and vaguely progressive "The Wheels of Confusion/The Straightener" and "A National Acrobat" with "Heaven and Hell" and "Master of Insanity," and, of course, the signiture Sabbath doom-and-gloom of "Black Sabbath" and "Hand of Doom" with "The Sign of the Southern Cross" and practically the whole Dehumanizer album.

So basically, the Dio era can do everything the Ozzy era can, and more!
But I'll admit that the court is still out on the decision of Dio's ability to pull off the Ozzy era songs himself, with the same effect Ozzy had in the 70's. ;)
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:40 pm 

@TheExodusAttack

:lol: I just write the reviews, I didn't record any of those albums.

In all honesty, I'm not really fond of comparing the two eras either beyond stating my own personal preference to Dio as a singer, a lyricist and a composer. I've often agonized over the prospect of trying to give a hierarchical list of Sabbath's great albums because I view 7 of them as being utterly perfect and a couple others as being extremely close to being perfect. But just for the fun of it, I'll give one.

Heaven And Hell > Sabbath Bloody Sabbath > Sabotage > Mob Rules > Headless Cross > Dehumanizer > The Devil You Know > Master Of Reality > Tyr > The Eternal Idol > Paranoid > Cross Purposes > Black Sabbath > Born Again > Seventh Star > Vol. 4 > Forbidden > Technical Ecstasy > Never Say Die

And yes, in spite of what the law and the band states, I regard "The Devil You Know" as a Sabbath album.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:49 pm 

while this thread will probably get locked, having debated this (of course, any metalhead has) in the past ive always stuck with Dio for several reasons - not least technical profficiency and songwriting skill. theres no contest on those two at least.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:46 pm 

Dio is clearly the better vocalist by every empirical measure. Ozzy however clearly suited the style of the early songs much better and played a huge part in creating their sound. Black Sabbath (the song) worked largely because he sounded like a terrified coke head hallucinating about Satan. Dio... does not.

That said, Iommi's riffs are so legendary he could make music worth listening to with any singer. Not that he *always* has.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Great_Kesh
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:55 pm 

Dio no doubt. Dio era sabbath is pure rocking METAL! Ozzy era is only kinda sorta metal and always seems like everyone involved could flake out at any second.

bradtheimpaler
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:56 pm 

I am gonna have to toss the Ozzy era of Black Sabbath my vote. It's very hard to decide, but after I thought about it for a few minutes my fondest Black Sabbath memory is sneaking down into the basement after my folks went to sleep (because I was not allowed to touch the record player) at like ten years old and putting the song "Black Sabbath" on. I would hear that and think, "This is the most evil thing in the world," and liking that thought. I have to say that song was the main thing that got me into heavy metal and the darker side of things in general.

Make that comparison again and someone else will do it for you.

hellhippie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:04 pm 

really???? its unreal to me that this would even be up for debate.
Demons, devils, dark spirits
From church horror tales
The hordes of dead roar...

Great_Kesh
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:09 pm 

hellhippie wrote:
really???? its unreal to me that this would even be up for debate.

I know, right?

in_human_form
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:29 pm 

Great_Kesh wrote:
Dio no doubt. Dio era sabbath is pure rocking METAL! Ozzy era is only kinda sorta metal and always seems like everyone involved could flake out at any second.

You're going to have to explain this answer. How is the Ozzy era (with the exception of the first album) "only kinda sorta metal"?

saintinhell
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:47 am 

in_human_form wrote:
Great_Kesh wrote:

You're going to have to explain this answer. How is the Ozzy era (with the exception of the first album) "only kinda sorta metal"?

It's unfortunate but metal continues to be synonymous with thrash/power metal rather than doom also for some people, or so it seems from Great_Kesh's post. No other reason why Ozzy Sabbath should be only sorta metal when Master of Reality crushes the Dio albums for sheer heavy riffs easily.

In my opinion, there's not much room for debate when comparing Dio and Ozzy's singing abilities or the Ozzy and Dio Sabbath albums. In the first case, Dio easily wins, no matter how much more you like Ozzy, Dio is much too better a singer to leave room for debate. In the second, Heaven and Hell matches the best Ozzy album - or, the one I consider best - Sabotage and the other three albums (including Devil You Know) cannot approach the brilliance of the rest of the first six. Iommi's best riffs are also present in these six albums.

MaDTransilvanian
Caravan Beyond Redemption

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:59 am 

Great_Kesh wrote:

How exactly is Sabbath Bloody Sabbath "only kinda sorta metal"?

wartooth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:27 am 

Dio era is far superior. Dio's voice compliments Tony's crushing riffs and creates a very evil atmosphere. Creatively Dio is also better.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:55 am 

MaDTransilvanian wrote:
Great_Kesh wrote:

How exactly is Sabbath Bloody Sabbath "only kinda sorta metal"?

i can see how people might think its "kinda sorta metal" i guess - not that i agree though. i mean, when you are the band that invents metal, your not exactly gonna have the sound that most people would automatically associate with "classic metal" as that came later.

anyway, Dio is technically the better singer, hands down - we all know that. also, the fact that ozzys became such a douche late 90's to present probably stains his reputation a bit, when considering this debate, especially considering Dio's maintained such a respectable image, even recently.

Devilchild696
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:59 am 

hmm that's a hard question I guess I prefer Sabbath with Ozzy as the vocalist....I mean lets face it Dio cannot sing songs like Paranoid well at all. Dio is a more talented vocalist and does sound good with Sabbath except when he tries to sing the songs Ozzy original sang.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:12 am 

Devilchild696 wrote:
hmm that's a hard question I guess I prefer Sabbath with Ozzy as the vocalist....I mean lets face it Dio cannot sing songs like Paranoid well at all. Dio is a more talented vocalist and does sound good with Sabbath except when he tries to sing the songs Ozzy original sang.

yeah, but thats kinda mostly because his voice is too goos to attempt the twangy, whiny tones needed to deliver those songs like Ozzy, i think. i've covered Dio songs and Ozzy ones, and its so much easier to pull off an Ozzy impersonation (paranoid) then to sing Dio like Holy Diver, which ive also covered.

Last edited by DeathRiderDoom on Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
saintinhell
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:55 am 

On that topic, I don't have a problem at all with say Dio's performances of the Ozzy songs with Live Evil. He only gets criticized for them because he doesn't sound like Ozzy...and any particular reason why he should? It would be another matter if they were recording studio material that was exactly like the Ozzy era stuff and Dio was required to replicate those nasal tones. Since it's a live performance, imo he's free to sing it the way he likes. In particular, I dig his take of Black Sabbath.

~Guest 190475
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:47 am 

Ozzy's era. Heaven and Hell is good, but cant beat Ozzy's BLACK SABBATH.

Tornado
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:21 am 

Although Dio is technically the better singer by far, I do prefer the Ozzy era. Those first 6 Sabbath albums are untouchable in my eyes (although I could do without a couple of the instrumental tracks they've written; namely FX and Don't Start (Too Late) which are pointless and ruin the flow of the albums. That said, I have no problems with Embryo or Orchid).
But I've gotta say, The new Heaven and Hell album has some of Iommi's best ever riffs.

ogmetal
Veteran of the Psychic Wars

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:54 am 

Devilchild696 wrote:

Yeah, I wonder how Ozzy would sound singing Dio-era songs.

saintinhell
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:14 am 

ogmetal wrote:

:lol: He can't dream of hitting some of the notes Dio can, a no-contest there.

ogmetal
Veteran of the Psychic Wars

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:17 am 

saintinhell wrote:
ogmetal wrote:

:lol: He can't dream of hitting some of the notes Dio can, a no-contest there.

Yeah, my comment was sarcastic since everyone seems to bash Dio for "NOT BEIN ABUL TO SING OZZY STUFFS".

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:21 am 

Dio can sing the Ozzy stuff, they just have veeery different ways of singing.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:48 am 

Empyreal wrote:

For a while I did not particularly care for Ronnie's interpretation of the older Sabbath stuff, I always thought that Tony Martin pulled it off a bit better. Dio's interpretation of songs like Black Sabbath, War Pigs and Iron Man are fairly good, but other stuff like Paranoid just don't sound right when he does them.

Nonetheless, I think it would be a cold day in hell before Ozzy could even come close to performing any of the Dio era songs.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

saintinhell
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:22 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

What I said. It's one thing to say his interpretation is different and not to one's liking and another to say he can't sing.

@ogmetal: Yeah, I knew it was sarcastic, I felt amused because it was the perfect riposte for the Dio can't sing remarks. :lol:

adders11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:10 pm 

As an all round vocalist I prefer Dio- his solo band and Rainbow are way better than Ozzy's solo albums in my opinion.
And I prefer Mob Rules and H&H to a majority of the Ozzy Sabbath albums but Master Of Reality is my all time favourite album, so id have to go with Ozzy.

Khull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:16 pm 

I'd be lying if I said Ozzy isn't the first thing to pop into my head after thinking Black Sabbath. That said, I personally like Dio-era more. While I'm not discounting the Ozzy-era albums, especially the first five, I get far more enjoyment out of Dio-era material.

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:41 pm 

I do believe Dio is the better vocalist, but to me Ozzy will always be better for Sabbath.

Last.fm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next