Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 3:12 pm 

SwedishRawPower wrote:
Maybe they got doomier under the influence of Mr. Fischer ;)

EDIT: Post #100 :)

Maybe, but I'm sure going to miss Frost's blastbeats.

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:41 pm 

I don't think I'm going to bother checking this out anymore. They were alright playing at breakneck speed but I can't picture them playing a doom style. Plus Ravn's vocals irritate me after a bit.

Last.fm

LordOfTerror
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:03 pm 

What a fucking letdown :ugh:. I don't hate black metal of this style, but 1349 are no good at it. Just a fucking boring, lame album all the way through. I dunno, maybe it'll grow on me, but I severely doubt it.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:07 pm 

Damn, you guys are worrying me. I'm downloading now, but I am not looking forward to it judging by these comments.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:21 pm 

Just heard it, here's a mini review.

What the hell is this? There are maybe four actual songs on this entire album, the rest is ambient noise and really slow, overly long speaking "songs". You can hear the bass drum over the snare, and it sounds like techno beats sometimes, the riffs are just watery fuzz, Ravn has never been a great vocalist but this performance is particularly uninspired. I can't even begin to voice my disappointment. Where are the blast beats, the vicious riffing of "Hellfire"....where are the damned BLAST BEATS!?!?!

Four years for this? This album is just LAZY. I'm very disappointed gentlemen.
Death metal is eternal.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:28 pm 

Fuck, maybe I should've pre-ordered Anaal Nathrakh instead. :( I'm going to be disappointed, for sure.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

SpiritOfTheForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:29 pm 

Damn looks like public opinion is against this album. I'll probably still buy it anyway cause I am a 1349 fan, but 1349 just isn't 1349 without the hyper speed. For those who have heard it: you don't think it's awful then, just rather bland and different?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:30 pm 

SpiritOfTheForest wrote:
Damn looks like public opinion is against this album. I'll probably still buy it anyway cause I am a 1349 fan, but 1349 just isn't 1349 without the hyper speed. For those who have heard it: you don't think it's awful then, just rather bland and different?

They pretty much took everything they were good at and just did the complete opposite. Seriously, disappointment of the year, by a long shot.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:36 pm 

SpiritOfTheForest wrote:

Not awful, no, but the only way you could really enjoy it is if you forget it's a 1349 album. It literally does nothing for me.
Death metal is eternal.

halofighter92
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:39 pm 

Listening to the first track, "Invocation". Ripping stuff. What are 'yall talking about? It's a good album. Not as fast as Hellfire, but it can be said it has its own touch.

SpiritOfTheForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:14 pm 

Hmm I see. I guess then we can only hope that the change in style is a temporary experimental thing.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:16 pm 

SpiritOfTheForest wrote:

"Awful" certainly isn't the right word, no. If I were to review it, I'd probably give it about a 70% whereas I'd give Hellfire about a 90%. It's not bad music, it's just not what they're best at and certainly, by no means, a step forward with regards to their musical capabilities. Having said this, I've only given it one listen. It might grow on me, but meh. I'd rather listen to their first three albums.

unclevladistav
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:26 pm 

Nolan_B wrote:
So what's the Floyd cover like?

Pretty terrible in my opinion; maybe it's just because I've been a fan of the original for a long time, but this is just shit. The whole thing was a lame attempt at being atmospheric/ambient, but it was just boring. Not a faithful cover at all, nor was it a good one.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:31 pm 

I've never bothered with 1349 before, and I probably won't ever bother with them.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:07 pm 

Meh, I think people may not like it because it totally catches them off guard. I mean, if you go into it looking for "Hellfire" or that sort of sound, you'll be dissapointed. I think for what it is it's pretty good, but I hope that they do release another album that is more like their previous work.

Shallow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 3:27 am 

I've got it now and...

Uh. What. The. Fuck?

I got through 2-3 songs before giving up. Not faced such a letdown since.. Black Album?

I can't believe this is teh same band that made Hellfire, really, I can't. Sorry for the unorganized post but.. gah.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:15 pm 

Shallow wrote:
I got through 2-3 songs before giving up. Not faced such a letdown since.. Black Album?

Come on, that's a huge overstatement.

Jester66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:31 pm 

I gave this album a few listens so I wouldn't be biased...and man does it suck. "Maggot Fetus...." is about the only song I'd ever want to revisit. Horribly disappointing after waiting so long for a new release.

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:28 pm 

i think Tom had influence over this albums new sound. it isn't bad, but i was expecting another 1349 release. i think the album would fit better within a 1349 playlist so it could change up the pace of the songs, rather than listening to it as a whole album. that Pink Floyd cover really must have inspired them throughout the whole album.

overkill666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:37 pm 

My hopes for another solid 1349 record has been crushed. I was so bored listening to this, was very disappointing.

Master_Debater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:04 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
Fuck, maybe I should've pre-ordered Anaal Nathrakh instead. :( I'm going to be disappointed, for sure.

That's for damn sure. More of Fire Than Blood alone shits all over this stupid album. Hopefully the new Pantheon I brings more to the table than this did.

lord_abraxas
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:05 pm 

I heard a couple of song previews on their E-card and it sounds that it is going to be more varied than their previous works. I'm sure is going to be fucking amazing as everything they do. If you want to hear Frost fastest and unbelievable drumming ever you have to hear 1349.

halofighter92
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:19 pm 

lord_abraxas wrote:
I heard a couple of song previews on their E-card and it sounds that it is going to be more varied than their previous works. I'm sure is going to be fucking amazing as everything they do. If you want to hear Frost fastest and unbelievable drumming ever you have to hear 1349.
I think everyone who's posted here has confirmed they know what 1349 sounds like...no need to advertise a already known band on this board.

overkill666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:12 am 

halofighter92 wrote:
lord_abraxas wrote:
I think everyone who's posted here has confirmed they know what 1349 sounds like...no need to advertise a already known band on this board.

That, and his drumming is overly average on the latest. Where are you hearing speed and creativity?

Winterkald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:07 am 

I listened to the songs on the e-card, but the samples really don't sound anything like the 'old' 1349. I like it, but I doubt if I will ever prefer this to the old style/sound. But let's first listen to the entire album before making a judgement.

Whateverfitsme
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:35 am 

Biggest disappointment of 09. piece of shit album.

the_bard_of_osyrhia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:15 pm 

It really is very disappointing. Hellfire was one of my favourite albums of 2005 so I was really excited to hear about this new one but they really have dashed my hopes.

I enjoy dark ambient and slow black metal when done right but this is sadly not what I would call doing it right. They seem to be experimenting with a sound that is completely at odds with what they have always done and they just can't do it...

http://www.last.fm/user/Argaalofthemyst

Illyria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:59 pm 

Hahahahahaha. Oh my god, this album sucks so bad. How do you fuck up 1349? I mean really, just unleash Frost on a drumset and give the guitars a raw recording and you're golden. This took them four years?

Is this really the new album? Are you guys sure this isn't a joke, like a fake album leaked just to fuck with all the downloaders out there? No one could honestly think it was a good idea to take the band in this direction. Or any band for that matter.

maxxpower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:09 pm 

Man, this album fails big time, I don't know what they were thinking about, to be honest. This album is garbage, there is nothing memorable about it, not even one good riff.

halofighter92
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:40 pm 

overkill666 wrote:
halofighter92 wrote:
lord_abraxas wrote:

That, and his drumming is overly average on the latest. Where are you hearing speed and creativity?
I wasn't talking about Frost. I was commenting on abraxes's comment on how you "need to hear 1349" as if he's a commercial. He passes of that we don't know shit of what 1349 sounds like on any of the albums.

Evil_And_Naughty
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:57 pm 

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that, after working my way through the promo a bunch of times now, I really liked the album.

I accept that this is completely different to 1349's previous outings but taken in and of itself I think it stands up. I'll will admit however that I've never been a devout follower of the band in the past and maybe that has something to do with it.

Irrespective of any of the above, it was a fucking ballsy move.

halofighter92
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:54 pm 

Evil_And_Naughty wrote:
I'm going to go against the grain here and say that, after working my way through the promo a bunch of times now, I really liked the album.

I accept that this is completely different to 1349's previous outings but taken in and of itself I think it stands up. I'll will admit however that I've never been a devout follower of the band in the past and maybe that has something to do with it.

Irrespective of any of the above, it was a fucking ballsy move.
It's good to know a band can retain their own will of how they wish to construct music, not just conforming to either the media or the fans. That's titanium, diamond laced balls right there.

Yeah, like I said I also like this album. It grows on you, the ambiance gets better. It's always interesting to see a Black Metal band get inspiration from an early rock group(Pink Floyd, cover). It's a strange sound once you take your time listening to it, and I guess it;s that unique sound coupled with the contrast from Hellfire that makes people reject the album.

My only complaint is I wish it was a little longer.

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:24 am 

Listening to Invocation now, and WTF? 3+ minutes of 'eerie' empty noise, then some half-assed slow section that sounds like... well... NOTHING like the old 1349. Damn, what a letdown... I hope the other songs aren't anything like this.
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

Melkor666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:08 pm 

Alright I'm gonna be completely honest. I think the album isn't actually that bad. It's different than any other 1349 album but still it's not all that bad. The ambient tracks are really out there but add some atmosphere to the album. And then the songs themselves are really atmospheric if you listen closely. I think its worth a listen.

osig
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:01 pm 

I was very dissapointed with this release.
It feels like there is something missing in the sound...

maxxpower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:36 pm 

osig wrote:
I was very dissapointed with this release.
It feels like there is something missing in the sound...

I'll tell you whats missing in the sound, music.
There's no good riffs, no melodies, no harmony, nothing. If there's any band that I'm familiar with that can pull off sounding like Pink Floyd is Enslaved.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:58 pm 

Okay, so I just listened to the whole thing.

I think 1349 got a whole lot of influence from bands such as Blut Aus Nord, considering the staggering amount of ambiance here. Of the nine songs, at least 3 are ambient, possibly 4, from what I remember. None of them are necessarily bad, but this is 1349...less ambiance, more blasting and brutality!

The production as a whole is very muddy, and when Frost actually does decide to speed up the drums, it's all lost in the mix. The vocals sound very different and the guitars aren't too interesting if taken on their own. Everything about this is a step back from Hellfire.

Overall, this is not a terrible album, but this is also not 1349. Some of the negativity is very well deserved, and I hope the band is listening.

Cover art is nice, though. ;)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:13 am 

MikeyC wrote:

You know you're in denial when...

MikeyC

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:33 am 

Razakel wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

You know you're in denial when...

I don't get this.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Turismo
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:00 am 

Think he means if artwork is the only good thing you can find in an album you are in denial about how shit it is. Anyway I have to agree with the majority and say it was massively disappointing, nothing like their previous work and a boring and weak attempt at a style that does not suit them at all. Oh well Impiety and Nathrakh should be better.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next