Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:51 pm 

Made a post a while ago regarding this movie, totally based on the early Norway black metal scene, just wanted to find out did anybody get to see it yet, any good, when will it be released on dvd? You can read about it here http://www.myspace.com/blackmetalmovie and watch a few clips of Varg and Fenriz. It sounds like the first proper indepth documentry about this early great scene. It has been viewed in selected ciemas recently. Check out the cover here http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c ... ID=9447525

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:24 pm 

I think it's lame that they only talk about Norwegian black metal. But, I've yet to see it, lol.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:17 am 

I really want to see this.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:10 am 

I'm surprised this isn't widely promoted. Especially for the unreleased interviews with Varg Vikernes.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:10 am 

Nolan_B wrote:
I'm surprised this isn't widely promoted. Especially for the unreleased interviews with Varg Vikernes.

Have to agree, no-body seems to know fuck all about it! Hopefully it will be worth the wait.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:17 am 

STORMM wrote:
Nolan_B wrote:

Have to agree, no-body seems to know fuck all about it! Hopefully it will be worth the wait.

Maybe this thread will grow. I haven't heard anybody talk about it on MA yet.

Mythics
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:05 am 

I'm very exited to see this documentary.. also, it has several positive critics:

Quote:
"UNTIL THE LIGHT TAKES US is my favorite kind of documentary, squarely focused on someone instead of something. It's not enough to just say that your film is about something as broadly defined as "Norway's black metal scene." That's not a story. That's not compelling. It's a backdrop at best. Wisely, co-directors Aaron Aites and Audrey Ewell chose to focus on a few particular players in the scene, using their stories to paint the larger picture. It's incredibly effective, and there's real control in the way they parcel out information at just the right moment for maximum effect.
" - Ain't It Cool News

"As richly compelling and artfully shot as rock docs get, Until the Light Takes Us goes beyond charting black metal's underpinnings and the tabloid sensationalism of its fiery saga. Through smartly constructed reveals and blunt interviews that include many vulnerable moments, Ewell and Aites investigate the entanglement of art, terrorism, and the media that tried to define both.
" - LA Weekly (Critic's Pick)

"I'd never heard of Norwegian black metal, which flourished in the early 1990s, but that didn't prevent me from becoming engrossed in — and highly disturbed by — the bizarre, violent stories of some of the participants of that musical scene as presented in Until the Light Takes Us. There are murders...[spoiler removed]...suicides, rabid nationalism, anti-Judeo-Christian diatribes, anti-Americanism, church burnings, media sensationalism, faux satanism, and, in my view, the pervasive sensation that we live in a very, very sick world — one in which violence and hatred are perceived as not only valid but also as desirable manifestations of dissent.
" - Andre Soares, Alternative Film Guide

Also, there are 3 clips, one from Fenriz and two from Varg.

SuperVeji4
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:19 am 

Even it looks like just another black metal documetary, it looks kinda cool. The documentary that I was intrested in was that new Mayhem one called Pure Fucking Mayhem. Whatever happened to that one?

Call_From_The_Tower
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:56 am 

SuperVeji4 wrote:
Even it looks like just another black metal documetary, it looks kinda cool. The documentary that I was intrested in was that new Mayhem one called Pure Fucking Mayhem. Whatever happened to that one?

It's been released. Try Googling it and it might come up. There was another one that's up on YouTube called Once Upon a Time In Norway that was fairly interesting. Has a lot of good stuff with Manheim.

Buried_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:19 am 

I have heard small bits about this Document about Black Metal but i have no idea when it comes out on DVD or if it ever will.

Norrmania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:22 am 

Nolan_B wrote:
STORMM wrote:
Nolan_B wrote:

Maybe this thread will grow. I haven't heard anybody talk about it on MA yet.

I made some posts about it a while back before it came out and when they started talking about the release dates, and I think some others did as well. But still didn't seem to garner much attention. They get a lot of attention on myspace and from what I heard they sold out for the first showings, so outside the internet forums it seems to be doing decently. Personally, I'm really excited for it to become available on dvd since I've been waiting for this for like two years.

gigel2006
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:20 pm 

I messaged the producers on Until the Light Takes Us' myspace site and they told me they don't know when it's going to be released on DVD. (this was right after the L.A. premiere)
I'm guessing if more people message them they would realize the demand and start doing something about it.
It's not enough that we waited so long for the theater release as well.
I think they want to "tour" more with the film, since I haven't heard of any other locations that played it besides the L.A. film festival.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.