Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:48 am 

Must admit I've never been a huge fan of Akercocke, but I was a big fan of their former band Salem Orchid. I have a couple of tapes with loads of demo, rehearsal and live tracks. The quality is mostly abysmal, but the tracks are brilliant. Awesome band. Some of the riffs cropped up later in Akercocke.

I also have a couple of tapes of a little known band/project called Church of Satan that briefly existed between Salem Orchid and Akercocke (it seems to have actually been a formative version of Akercocke). The tracks on these tapes are also amazing, really raw and brutal but experimental Death Metal.

:headbang:

steady666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:31 am 

balbulus wrote:
Must admit I've never been a huge fan of Akercocke, but I was a big fan of their former band Salem Orchid. I have a couple of tapes with loads of demo, rehearsal and live tracks. The quality is mostly abysmal, but the tracks are brilliant. Awesome band. Some of the riffs cropped up later in Akercocke.

I also have a couple of tapes of a little known band/project called Church of Satan that briefly existed between Salem Orchid and Akercocke (it seems to have actually been a formative version of Akercocke). The tracks on these tapes are also amazing, really raw and brutal but experimental Death Metal.

Where could one hear these said tapes?

Waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka

foz45139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:19 am 

I have everything except Rape of the Bastard Nazarene, and that's because I can't find it anywhere.

Some of their stuff genuinely gives me chills, like when I first heard the chorus to A Skin For Dancing In or the last couple of minutes of Horns of Baphomet. So you can probably tell that Goat of Mendes is my favourite.

I have never heard a band quite like them before; they're very original in their combination of black metal, death metal, ambient, jazz etc (and the list goes on...).
Once I was done throwing up I had to take another shit. Again it was diarrhea! While diarrhea was coming out of my ass I began to throw up. This fucking sucked! If only I had some Disgorge playing it might not have sucked ass much.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:22 am 

I missed them a couple years back when they played Tijuana. But back then I was only sort of into them.

Hybrid_Killer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:44 am 

marktheviktor wrote:
I missed them a couple years back when they played Tijuana. But back then I was only sort of into them.

Same here, I didn't know much of them at the time; added to the fact that they were playing a festival of sorts with plenty of terrible bands means that I didn't have the motivation to see them.

I like the more the more progressive they get - I still have a hard time going between Antichrist and Words... though.

CrippledLucifer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:57 am 

marktheviktor wrote:
DeadGein wrote:
You can hear them say it here

That English three piece suit with pipe and handlebar moustache cracks me up. Look how he is smoking it too.

Haha, it looks like something from a Monty Python sketch.

On topic, I really enjoy the Words... album, and I think their blend of black an death metal is great, but as some have previously said, their guttural vocals tend to turn me off a little, but I like the shriekings and the clean parts. Oh and the suit thing is fucking badass.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:27 am 

steady666 wrote:
balbulus wrote:

I may upload them to a blog at some point when I've cleaned them up a bit. I'll let you know...

Morbid89
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:51 pm 

Akercocke are awesome :D I have Antichrist, Words That Go Unspoken and Goat Of Mendes, will probs get Choronzon at some point. Antichrist is definitely my favourite, would probs be one of my favourite albums ever if they'd sorted the production out. Only real thing that annoys me about this band are the completely indecipherable gutteral vocals, I like their lyrics but with that vocal style he could be singing about mowing the lawn for all I know :S Great band though.

JohnGalt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:02 pm 

I only have "Words that Go Unspoken..." but I love it. Fantastic album all around. I can't get enough of Shelter From the Sands, its easily my favorite song off of the record.

That interview is absolute gold. "Akercocke, why are you laughing? WHY ARE YOU LAUGHING AT THIS MAN?"

:lol:

Vlad_Drakul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:39 pm 

Best metal band in the world imo.

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:27 pm 

balbulus wrote:
steady666 wrote:
balbulus wrote:

I may upload them to a blog at some point when I've cleaned them up a bit. I'll let you know...

I'd also be interested in those if you manage to put them up.

DrommerOmDod
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:13 pm 

thomash wrote:
balbulus wrote:
steady666 wrote:
balbulus wrote:

I'd also be interested in those if you manage to put them up.

Count me in too...

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:46 am 

Their getting more and more progressive by the album it appears. I liked Antichrist alot but I think that's as far as they should go with that direction. I hope the next one will be more like Chronozon again.

Last edited by marktheviktor on Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
sixhundredand66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:59 am 

Probably the only band I've heard blast over an acoustic part (Axiom from the new one). It suprisingly sounds really awesome too.

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:34 am 

sixhundredand66 wrote:
Probably the only band I've heard blast over an acoustic part (Axiom from the new one). It suprisingly sounds really awesome too.

Oh yes, this bit of the song was excellent, probably my favourite song from the album.

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

steady666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:05 am 

sixhundredand66 wrote:

Yeah i would like to experiment doing that with my band.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:22 am 

I think they're great, and that they've been getting better with each release. The earlier albums (GoM and Choronzon), while still good, seems to be suffering from the syndrom "we've got billion of ideas that would be awesome, but don't know how to execute them properly". Imo it's not until Antichrist that they seem to mesh the ideas with the songwriting in a proper way.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:31 am 

The reviews of Choronzon are not particularly favourable, it seems. I don't own that one, so I can't say, but I've seen the video to Leviathan and find it to be quite a cool little song.

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:44 am 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
The reviews of Choronzon are not particularly favourable, it seems. I don't own that one, so I can't say, but I've seen the video to Leviathan and find it to be quite a cool little song.

I was surprised when I saw how low the review of Choronzon was. I would give it an 85%, no question.

Morbidreich
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:04 pm 

Akercocke are an amazing band. I think all their albums are different and good. I like thier early albums, but the newer stuff is just as good. I remember I listened to "Words That Go Unspoken.." pretty much nonstop after it was released. I'd really liked Choronzon and was amazed they did an album that topped it. Antichrist is excellent as well, a great follow up to WTGUDTGU.

windsofcreation59
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:28 pm 

Akercocke's only good album is Words that Go Unspoken, Deeds that Go Undone, IMO. Shelter From the Sand is truly a masterpiece. The first 3 albums aren't that great and Antichrist still doesn't match up to Words.

The only problems I have with them is that they get too cheesy and stupid sometimes and Mendonca's vocals are always forgettable.

Craggzy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:14 am 

i fucking love akercocke so much saw them on my 19 birthday this year, what a great birthday it was.

I would have to say Goat of Mendes was my favourite album followed by words that go unspoken. I think cronozon is quite avergae but it does have some great songs on there.

Unearthly
Spectre of Wrath

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:33 am 

I've read about Akercocke a lot but only heard Antichrist and a couple other songs so far. Antichrist showcases some very refined song-craft and Satanism, but the production is garbage. Too muted and the drums are triggered to the moon and back. I'll have to grab a couple other albums.

thinkpad20
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:34 pm 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
The reviews of Choronzon are not particularly favourable, it seems.

Something that I don't understand and hope to rectify with a review of my own if I ever get around to it. That album is brilliant.

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:14 pm 

Choronzon to me has always seemed to get mixed reviews. I'm right in the middle of the road as I see it to be a fine album, sure, but I wouldnt go as so far as to say that that its my favorite by any means. Just a solid release.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:26 pm 

For those that were interested earlier, you can check out the Church Of Satan rehearsal tape HERE.

For the record, I have a letter from David Gray where he says I can "pass on copies to any traders or relevant parties". You can view this letter HERE. I've blocked out his address just in case he still lives there!

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:35 pm 

balbulus wrote:
For those that were interested earlier, you can check out the Church Of Satan rehearsal tape HERE.

For the record, I have a letter from David Gray where he says I can "pass on copies to any traders or relevant parties". You can view this letter HERE. I've blocked out his address just in case he still lives there!

David Gray seems like a cool guy, thanks for posting this! I enjoy his writings on the Akercocke website.

Morbidreich wrote:
Antichrist is excellent as well, a great follow up to WTGUDTGU.

What is the point of such an acronym . . .

secretninja
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:11 pm 

steady666 wrote:
Oh and here is that Irish TV interview with them that most of you would have seen. If not check it out, its hilarious; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl9oM4f1xdQ

Here are some of the hilarious comments in that video on Akercocke:

"them 2 guys have had 2 much wine or blood maybe"

"ban that music and game it's pure evil"

"that's not music. it's people screaming. anyone can do that."

Cephalopod wrote:
He thinks the gorillas 4 arms and dexterity will save it. I'm skeptical

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:25 pm 

Strange that people say Choronzon gets bashed now days. I remember it being pretty popular when it was released. I've never heard a Akercocke in full though.

steady666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:42 pm 

balbulus wrote:

Cheers man!

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:39 pm 

secretninja wrote:

Surely you've heard these types of common misunderstanding before...

balkonas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:52 pm 

The only album that i like from them is The Goat Of Mendes.
Never been able to get into the later stuf :D

secretninja
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:37 pm 

thejuicebitch wrote:
secretninja wrote:

Surely you've heard these types of common misunderstanding before...

Of course I have, actually just the last one. The first two I've heard been used as stereotyping ignorant anti-metal folks, but I didn't really think people were stupid enough to believe it.

Cephalopod wrote:
He thinks the gorillas 4 arms and dexterity will save it. I'm skeptical

unclevladistav
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:20 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
Antichrist was pretty good but slightly jumped on the Opeth bandwagon somewhat.

I've heard people say that, but why? I've always found Jason's clean vocals to be much more powerful sounding that Mikael's. Or is it the use of more acoustic parts? Even with this, I've found that when Opeth does it, it sounds "wimpy", or halfway done (I still like Opeth, but acknowledge this flaw). I've found that Akercocke makes better use of these parts.
So what is it?

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:29 am 

The same thing happened to Akercocke that happened to Opeth. They had an awesome style and flow going then lost it all somewhere. Choronzon, for me, is their best album. It has atmosphere, brutality, a sense of purpose and meaning and is just crushes perfectly throughout. Words was pretty good though I could tell that they had fallen. The songs were too adventurous for their own good (they were still good though) but they lost the sense of foreboding and darkness that their previous albums had. Antichrist was abysmal. The more black metal stylings of Rape and Goat were excellent though the production seemed to stifle some of the ideas they were attempting to portray yet these albums maintained a sense of urgency and the grime on them was awesome. Choronzon would have benefited from some of this grime slightly.

Chaos_Llama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:13 am 

Words... is one of my top 5 favorite albums. It gets a lot of play-time in my car. To me, it's like what metalcore wishes it was: brutal, melodic, and epic. Sheltered From The Sand will get stuck in my head for days!

DrommerOmDod
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:22 am 

orionmetalhead wrote:
Choronzon, for me, is their best album. It has atmosphere, brutality, a sense of purpose and meaning and is just crushes perfectly throughout. Words was pretty good though I could tell that they had fallen.

I can't relate to this at all... Words... has a sense of purpose like few other albums I've heard.

Profoundemonium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:27 pm 

I'm not a huge fan, but Choronzon is an excellent album. I have yet to properly listen to their other albums.

Dark_Mewtwo1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:17 pm 

balbulus wrote:

Thank you sir. I am very interested in this.

I've been a fan of this band for a long time, and I remember people did not like this band much before Choronzon came out. To think that album is getting bad reviews now is strange to me, its awesome. Enraptured By Evil is my favorite song by them, followed by Axiom. I agree about this song, the blasting over acoustic parts was awesome!

foz45139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:22 pm 

orionmetalhead wrote:
Choronzon, for me, is their best album. It has atmosphere, brutality, a sense of purpose and meaning and is just crushes perfectly throughout. Words was pretty good though I could tell that they had fallen. The songs were too adventurous for their own good (they were still good though) but they lost the sense of foreboding and darkness that their previous albums had. Antichrist was abysmal.

I actually really liked Antichrist.

Of course it isn't as dark and foreboding as the earlier stuff was (and I will admit that 'Distant Fires Reflect in the Eyes of Satan' is trying to be but failing) but I still can't resist Jason's vocals (both guttural and clean) or David Gray's blastbeats. They're a really talented band, all in all - maybe the next one will be even better.
Once I was done throwing up I had to take another shit. Again it was diarrhea! While diarrhea was coming out of my ass I began to throw up. This fucking sucked! If only I had some Disgorge playing it might not have sucked ass much.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next