Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:06 am 

From Northern Silence's FB - https://www.facebook.com/NorthernSilenc ... 7EuG6RVLYl

Quote:
Aquilus is a band from Melbourne, Australia that combines Atmospheric Black Metal with the intricate elements of classical music, progressive Death Metal, and folk influences. This fusion results in a musical journey that guides the listener through ever-changing soundscapes, brimming with intensity and emotive depth.
Following up on their release of "Bellum I" in 2021, the sister album "Bellum II" is set to be released this year through Northern Silence Productions.

WELCOME AQUILUS TO NORTHERN SILENCE

Absolutely wonderful news. Bellum I was my immediate album of the year for 2021 when it came out, and it 100% lived up to the hype. But since then, we heard nothing about Bellum II. I know the guy from Blood Music is extremely burnt out and is pretty much axing his label, but he was going to stick it out for this release in particular - I guess not anymore. Might as well release the band to another label that can help give it the release campaign and promo it deserves.

I know we're not even finished February yet, but I'm calling this my album of the year already. If it's anything like Bellum I, it's either going to remain up top the whole year, or at the very least be a top contender. There's lots of symphonic black metal out there, but NO ONE does what Aquilus does.

Only_Perception
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:09 am 

Yeah Aquilus is amazing; his blending of classical, folk, and metal is untouchable. Really excited for the next album as I remember him saying it was suppose to come out rather quickly from Bellum 1, this was because the original idea was that both were suppose to just be the same album that he decided to separate for the sake of the audience. Makes me wonder if he was rewriting some parts in the time between the two. I know some people were disappointed that Bellum I was less classical orientated than Griseus, perhaps this one will satisfy those people - although personally I enjoy both albums equally.

Either way yeah it'll be a serious AOTY contender for myself, although I doubt there will be much that could fight it for top spot. Maybe if Ad Nauseam sneak in a new album near the end of the year or something.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:29 pm 

Pre-orders are live on Northern Silence's website, I ordered the A5 digibook and a vinyl myself. https://store.northern-silence.de/en/se ... ch=aquilus

New track - Nigh To Her Gloam

Pretty bold move to come swinging out of the gate with a 17 minute single. But it's great. Continuing from where Bellum I left off, the metal moments are more pronounced but there's still a hefty bit of softer classical moments too. The ending in particular is lovely. Definitely going to be my AOTY, unless Agalloch put out a new record this year (that's a joke, I know they won't).

Only_Perception wrote:
Yeah Aquilus is amazing; his blending of classical, folk, and metal is untouchable. Really excited for the next album as I remember him saying it was suppose to come out rather quickly from Bellum 1, this was because the original idea was that both were suppose to just be the same album that he decided to separate for the sake of the audience. Makes me wonder if he was rewriting some parts in the time between the two. I know some people were disappointed that Bellum I was less classical orientated than Griseus, perhaps this one will satisfy those people - although personally I enjoy both albums equally.

Either way yeah it'll be a serious AOTY contender for myself, although I doubt there will be much that could fight it for top spot. Maybe if Ad Nauseam sneak in a new album near the end of the year or something.

I didn't know that people were disappointed; I did notice that the metal parts were harder hitting but it still was a logical successor to Griseus. I thought it was amazing personally.

As for the delay, I don't think he was rewriting things because apparently the 2 albums were recorded at the same time. I think it's label issues - Blood Music was supposed to put this out as their last release before a long and indefinite hiatus, but given the silence from them after Bellum I they probably had to finally admit they couldn't afford to do it justice, and instead let the band go to be signed by a more substantial label. Maybe they even helped Aquilus get on Northern Silence, who knows. In any case, I think it's for the best - this band is WAY too good to be signed to a label that's essentially a sinking ship.

Only_Perception
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:34 am 

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
Pretty bold move to come swinging out of the gate with a 17 minute single. But it's great. Continuing from where Bellum I left off, the metal moments are more pronounced but there's still a hefty bit of softer classical moments too. The ending in particular is lovely. Definitely going to be my AOTY, unless Agalloch put out a new record this year (that's a joke, I know they won't).

I didn't know that people were disappointed; I did notice that the metal parts were harder hitting but it still was a logical successor to Griseus. I thought it was amazing personally.

As for the delay, I don't think he was rewriting things because apparently the 2 albums were recorded at the same time. I think it's label issues - Blood Music was supposed to put this out as their last release before a long and indefinite hiatus, but given the silence from them after Bellum I they probably had to finally admit they couldn't afford to do it justice, and instead let the band go to be signed by a more substantial label. Maybe they even helped Aquilus get on Northern Silence, who knows. In any case, I think it's for the best - this band is WAY too good to be signed to a label that's essentially a sinking ship.

Did you notice all the nods to Bellum I in the new release track? First half of it feels almost like an overture for Bellum I in a way, I wonder if this track is the album finale or if it has something to do with the lyrics. I am personally not one for reading or knowing lyrics (I prefer to keep music abstract and free of the written word), but I might read all the lyrics for this release to know why its doing all these motifs. Regardless of that, as always Waldorf's talent for music shines bright; Opeth and the like could use a lot of pointers on how smoothly he dances through his metal, folk, and symphonic sections.

In regards to the disappointment for Bellum I, it was mostly online reviewers I saw who wished that album to be more classically inclined. Of course they aren't always trustworthy, my favorite instance of that right now is the person on the RYM comment box for both Bellum I and now II who claims these albums feel like improv'd melodies, while having Mobb Deep "The Infamous" as a 5/5 perfect musical album lol. So yeah, who knows how many people that were disappointed in Belum I were worth caring about, it was just something I noticed and felt personally against.

Glad he got on a better label, certainly one of the best acts to have touched metal.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:30 pm 

Only_Perception wrote:
FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:

Did you notice all the nods to Bellum I in the new release track? First half of it feels almost like an overture for Bellum I in a way, I wonder if this track is the album finale or if it has something to do with the lyrics. I am personally not one for reading or knowing lyrics (I prefer to keep music abstract and free of the written word), but I might read all the lyrics for this release to know why its doing all these motifs. Regardless of that, as always Waldorf's talent for music shines bright; Opeth and the like could use a lot of pointers on how smoothly he dances through his metal, folk, and symphonic sections.

In regards to the disappointment for Bellum I, it was mostly online reviewers I saw who wished that album to be more classically inclined. Of course they aren't always trustworthy, my favorite instance of that right now is the person on the RYM comment box for both Bellum I and now II who claims these albums feel like improv'd melodies, while having Mobb Deep "The Infamous" as a 5/5 perfect musical album lol. So yeah, who knows how many people that were disappointed in Belum I were worth caring about, it was just something I noticed and felt personally against.

Glad he got on a better label, certainly one of the best acts to have touched metal.

I wasn't paying attention to any nods to Bellum I, I'll have to go back and listen and try to spot them (It's also a massive track and I've only heard it once so far, so it's a lot to take in). But that would make sense though, considering these are supposed to be companion albums, 2 halves of a greater whole, kind of like this Finnish band who dangled their Pt. 2 album in front of fans faces for 12 years so they could crowdfund their own personal headquarters. Gee, what was their name again??? SummerMoon? Yes! That's the one! :lol:

I'd be interested in reading the lyrics as well and seeing what sort of continuity there is between them. Sounds like a fun sit-down project once the new record comes in! I do agree with what you're saying, I think a lot of bands, especially symphonic ones, can learn from Aquilus considering how it's very much going beyond the boundaries of "symphonic black metal" and is fusing the genre with authentically written classical music in a way that I don't think has been done by very many other projects. Makes me wonder how it translates to the stage, as I can't help but picture a full orchestra along the usual metal lineup (I've seen some clips of them on stage, Horace has some guest musicians on strings but that's it). In any case, they're very much in a league of their own and I'm all for it.

Regarding reviews - gotcha, I guess I just don't read a lot of reviews these days aside from this site. If anything I felt the opposite - I adore Griseus, but my only critique was to maybe balance it with more metal than there already was. Bellum I took care of that and I was more than stoked - the beginning of Into Wooded Hollows is absolutely devastating

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:45 pm 

I loved Bellum I. So much better than Griseus. Loving the new song too.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:55 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:

It's a tough call for me, but that's a super respectable opinion either way!

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:25 am 

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

I'm just not a great fan of keyboards, I loved the more realistic approach of Bellum I to string instruments.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:49 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

I'm just not a great fan of keyboards, I loved the more realistic approach of Bellum I to string instruments.

Fair! Bellum I was great for that. I also felt that the use of a real drummer on it was a step up from Griseus, as it made the music feel much more human - not to mention the tones were better. But maybe a drum machine is all he could work with at the time of Griseus.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 9:03 am 

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 1:26 pm 

I'm really loving the new one and being a double album really elevates the whole thing. Not sure why they released it as two separate albums so far apart but I'm really happy with how it turned out.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 1:32 pm 

Blood Music has really cheap copies of the first one: https://www.blood-music.com/store-us/

6 bucks for the 2xLP.

Reply to topic