Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 4:13 pm 

Dio has a couple of bangers in his solo career, but I agree with the general sentiment that his works with Black Sabbath and Rainbow are better than his works as a solo artist. But I don't think that's because his solo work is bad or something like that, but because Tony Iommi and Ritchie Blackmore are two of the greatest musicians of all time in rock/metal and the music they wrote together is so iconic that is hard to top that in any musical direction.

Last edited by SanPeron on Mon May 06, 2024 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 4:24 pm 

SanPeron wrote:
Dio has a couple of bangers in his solo career, but I agree with the general sentiment that his works with Black Sabbath and Rainbow is better than his works as a solo artist. But I don't think that's because his solo work is bad or something like that, but because Tony Iommi and Ritchie Blackmore are two of the greatest musicians of all time in rock/metal and the music they wrote together is so iconic that is hard to top that in any musical direction.

Indeed.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 5:11 pm 

Regarding Dio's solo career, he has a few tunes which stand toe to toe with the best of his Sabbath/Rainbow days, IMO:

"All the Fools Sailed Away"
"Don't Talk To Strangers"
"We Rock"

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 12:41 am 

KeeperOfTheMissingLink wrote:
Bronze Age wrote:
I don't think Dio is that good as a solo artist. Sure I like Holy Diver and Last in Line but even those don't come close to Rainbow and Sabbath.

Honestly, Holy Diver isn't even my favorite Dio album from the 80's, let alone my favorite Dio album, and I consider Last in Line to be a bit of a front-loaded sophomore slump. I can see why people say Holy Diver is the only good album Dio made (outside of Sabbath or Rainbow), but I don't know why they group in Last in Line. It just seems undeniable that they were running on fumes and would only exacerbate on Sacred Heart before getting a well-needed shot in the arm when making Dream Evil.

Dio's solo work may not be as classic as his stuff with Rainbow or Sabbath, but he has his idiosyncrasies which can help set him apart. I don't think he'd be able to make a song like "Losing My Insanity" with Iommi or Blackmore. In fact, I think that song is an example of showing the influences he's obtained from working with both of them as it has the folksy jaunt from Blackmore's stylings and the fullness of the guitar chords from Iommi. I think moreso than any other musician who went solo after establishing themself in a band, Dio was able to carve out his own personality separate from the band(s) he came from.

At the very least, I think we can all agree that Dio's solo work is much better than Bruce Dickinson's (Oops! Said too much! Now MetalNZ is gonna throw another fit at me!)

I think Ozzy and Gillan established solo projects that set themselves apart from their previous band on par with what Dio did. Those last 4 Dickinson albums are masterpieces.

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 12:47 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
Bronze Age wrote:
I don't think Dio is that good as a solo artist. Sure I like Holy Diver and Last in Line but even those don't come close to Rainbow and Sabbath.

I think this might be a relatively common opinion, regardless of the fact that people rarely say it.

Personnally, I was never the biggest fan of Dio, altogether. Don't get me wrong, I spin Rainbow's debut from time to time, I revisit Dio's Holy Diver and Sabbath's Heaven and Hell on occasions as well. It's all great music, but not music I gravitate to very often. I significantly prefer the doomier side of Black Sabbath with Ozzy. Still, there is undeniable quality in the albums I listed that involved Dio. And beyond that, the man's legacy is beyond just the music. His legacy also lies in his stage presence/persona, his high energy perfomances, and the aura of kindness and positivity that he radiated. The man also gave us "the evil eye", what we often refer to as the metal "horns" these days, and he will basically live on forever for as long as metalheads keep throwing that sign at concerts :metal:

I guess that's kind of why people don't tend to criticize his work too negatively? Like, yeah, there's a lot of his stuff I don't care much about, but I'm also clearly not the target audience for that music and I respect his body of work as a whole, regardless of the lower points in his disography.

I guess I really didn't know how people felt about his solo work especially in comparison to his past work. If anything I thought more people would make a stronger case for his solo albums. I am not opposed to having my mind changed.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 1:15 am 

KeeperOfTheMissingLink wrote:
At the very least, I think we can all agree that Dio's solo work is much better than Bruce Dickinson's (Oops! Said too much! Now MetalNZ is gonna throw another fit at me!)

Who? Me?

I'll throw a fuckin fit at ya alright. Glenn would be about the right size to toss at ya I reckon.

Tuff call between Brucey and Dio. But I'd definitely go with Bruce's solo work overall, the last 4 albums tip it in his favour despite Dio having an all-time great with Holy Diver to go with his other 2 all-time greats Rising and Heaven And Hell.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 2:32 am 

i guess my unpopular opinion is what bronze age meant to be the popular one: i like holy diver more than dio's stuff with sabbath/rainbow. the a-side of heaven and hell is absolute gold, but the b-side isn't quite as good, and rainbow has similarly awesome highs (silver mountain, stargazer), but also doesn't have the consistency of holy diver

alktrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 3:04 am 

I'd agree that Dio's better out of BS, which one was better on their earliest works with Ozzy

Iron Maiden I never understood and I tried hard, buying their tapes in the eighties and trying to make connection with Metallica/Slayer/Kreator and all the rest, and then because of their artwork in my teenage mind there's link between strong art and music that was not there with Maiden - which always sounded to me like a Walt Disney version of metal. Then at some point I got Dickinson's album on vinyl and it was one the worst LP I had, with lines like "tattooed billionaires" with him, one of the most important industry in UK.... Nowadays I can listen to Somwhere in time, but I still do prefer Dio's work alone

MorbidSaint69
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 8:05 am 

I don't know how unpopular this is but... I'm kind of tired of seeing everyone act like Heaven and Hell is the be all, end all of Dio-Sabbath, considering it's the worst album of that line up. Oh, it's an absolute masterpiece, but have you listened to the 3 albums afterwards?

When I heard Mob Rules I was like "yup, this right here is up there with Master of Reality". Then I heard Dehumanizer and I just couldn't believe they topped themselves again. And then The Devil You Know (which is absolutely a Black Sabbath album), holy shit, what a criminally underrated album, probably the best work Iommi and Dio did together ever, the perfect swansong.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 8:14 am 

MorbidSaint69 wrote:
I don't know how unpopular this is but... I'm kind of tired of seeing everyone act like Heaven and Hell is the be all, end all of Dio-Sabbath,

I'm definitely with you all the way here.

Quote:
considering it's the worst album of that line up.?

Then I heard Dehumanizer and I just couldn't believe they topped themselves again. And then The Devil You Know (which is absolutely a Black Sabbath album), holy shit, what a criminally underrated album, probably the best work Iommi and Dio did together ever, the perfect swansong.

And now you lost me.

Even with the three albums officially filed under the Black Sabbath name, I don't think I can bring myself to say each one is better than the last. Quality wise, they are pretty much all interchangeable, and each one has held my top Dio-Sabbath spot at one time or another.

But The Devil You Know being the best of the four? Come on now. It's easily the worst of the four by a country mile. Not a bad album but not a masterclass like the previous three.

I'd probably put it around the same level as 13.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 8:38 am 

MorbidSaint69 wrote:
I don't know how unpopular this is but... I'm kind of tired of seeing everyone act like Heaven and Hell is the be all, end all of Dio-Sabbath...

Best album by any band ever, of all time, IMO.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 8:39 am 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
MorbidSaint69 wrote:
I don't know how unpopular this is but... I'm kind of tired of seeing everyone act like Heaven and Hell is the be all, end all of Dio-Sabbath,

I'm definitely with you all the way here.

Quote:
considering it's the worst album of that line up.?

Then I heard Dehumanizer and I just couldn't believe they topped themselves again. And then The Devil You Know (which is absolutely a Black Sabbath album), holy shit, what a criminally underrated album, probably the best work Iommi and Dio did together ever, the perfect swansong.

But The Devil You Know being the best of the four? Come on now. It's easily the worst of the four by a country mile. Not a bad album but not a masterclass like the previous three.

Spot on. Solid album but blown away by its predecessors.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 8:48 am 

Devil You Know is a whole other class of quality than 13 was... I certainly like it better than Dehumanizer by quite a lot too, but maybe someday I'll finally get the latter.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 8:58 am 

alktrash wrote:
Then at some point I got Dickinson's album on vinyl and it was one the worst LP I had, with lines like "tattooed billionaires" with him, one of the most important industry in UK....

That's never the one people are talking about when they praise his solo stuff.

MorbidSaint69
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 9:23 am 

I'd probably put it around the same level as 13.

I quite like 13, the songwriting is as good as ever on it. TDYK has the edge for me because it doesn't have god awful production like 13 does.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 10:33 am 

MorbidSaint69 wrote:
I don't know how unpopular this is but... I'm kind of tired of seeing everyone act like Heaven and Hell is the be all, end all of Dio-Sabbath, considering it's the worst album of that line up. Oh, it's an absolute masterpiece, but have you listened to the 3 albums afterwards?

When I heard Mob Rules I was like "yup, this right here is up there with Master of Reality". Then I heard Dehumanizer and I just couldn't believe they topped themselves again. And then The Devil You Know (which is absolutely a Black Sabbath album), holy shit, what a criminally underrated album, probably the best work Iommi and Dio did together ever, the perfect swansong.

I think its near perfect until the last two songs, which on my old iTunes chart were only 3/5 songs. I think Mob and Dehumanizer are a bit stronger end to end but may not match the highs.

Goose Lord
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 1:43 pm 

Dehumanizer is just not all that good. I genuinely think Time Machine is the best song there, and if that's your best song, well...

What are the other contenders for best song? Computer God? Too Late? It's just not that strong of an album, it's so strange and disjointed. It doesn't sound like they enjoyed making any of the songs, I'm not sure how else to describe it. Either way it's the worst Dio Sabbath album.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 2:20 pm 

I definitely prefer Dehumanizer and TDYK to Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules. Both albums just have such a heavy, menacing atmosphere. Sure, not as catchy as the two earlier albums, which is why they're not as popular overall, but I always feel Tonny Iommi's at his strongest when doing the slower, heavier doom stuff. He can craft a good hard rock/trad metal song or two, but the more brooding stuff always grabs me more. I think I would give the nod to TDYK due to stuff like "Atom & Evil" and "Bible Black" being so untouchable to me, but both albums are fantastic.

For the record, "Time Machine" is maybe my least favorite song on Dehumanizer, while songs like "Letters from Earth," "Too Late," and "I" are absolute classics in my book. The plodding, angry stuff just shows another side to Dio that you don't get from the first two records with him. "Time Machine" is closer to a Mob Rules B-side stylistically (though not bad by any means).

KaiKasparek wrote:
Every Ozzy solo up to No More Tears is essential USPM

Jophelerx wrote:
If you think heavy metal and USPM are the same, why use the term USPM at all?

KaiKasparek wrote:
Exactly.......

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 3:02 pm 

I love both The Devil you Know and 13, never considered them bad albums, Tony Iommi's guitar playing is superb, no man come close to him playing his instrument, only legends like Van Halen, Angus Young, David Gilmore or guitar masters like that can be in that level.

Goose Lord
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 3:03 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
For the record, "Time Machine" is maybe my least favorite song on Dehumanizer, while songs like "Letters from Earth," "Too Late," and "I" are absolute classics in my book. The plodding, angry stuff just shows another side to Dio that you don't get from the first two records with him. "Time Machine" is closer to a Mob Rules B-side stylistically (though not bad by any means).

Probably why I hold it in such high regard. Mob Rules was top tier, my favorite of the 4 albums.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 4:20 pm 

To me Dehumanizer is just full of great crushing riff driven songs. After All, Computer God, I, Time Machine, Master of Insanity, etc. I love it. But my favorite Dio era Sabbath album changes all the time.

Goose Lord
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 4:39 pm 

^ Yeah, After All has that riff, probably the best on the whole album. I agree there are plenty of good riffs and moments on Dehumanizer.

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 4:45 pm 

Buried Alive's main riff is fucking evil. "No one hears you cry, you're buried alive!" What an ending! Seconding Jophelerx, Dehumanizer and TDYK are the best Dio-fronted Sabbath albums, and that's not to say that Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules aren't fantastic.

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 9:21 pm 

Yeah Buried Alive is a real sleeper hit on Dehumanizer, the riff is almost like a slower 90s death metal riff or something. For me it's the best Dio Sabbath album simply because of my fondness for that angry twist and the consistency of the song quality. I do tend to like slightly longer albums too which may be part of it. All four of those albums are good to fantastic though (TDYK is a bit weaker for me but I need to spend more time with it admittedly).

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 12:52 am 

If I suffered watching this atrocity, then you guys have to suffer with me. I don't know if this counts as an unpopular opinion, but this is the worst piece of shit that I have listened to in a long time and is a perfect argument for the decay of metal as a whole.

I sometimes feel that the board/forum doesn't represent what the general audience thinks of metal, this shit got half a million views in a couple of hours, and we never mentioned this wack-ass band not even once since I started to read the forum, and Iam glad it's that way.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 6:05 am 

SanPeron wrote:

I sometimes feel that the board/forum doesn't represent what the general audience thinks of metal

Well...of course it doesn't? Can't be more of a niche crowd than us MA fellows ^^

Quote:
this shit got half a million views in a couple of hours, and we never mentioned this wack-ass band not even once since I started to read the forum, and Iam glad it's that way.

Holy shit, my breakfast almost came back up with this one. I did made it all the way through, thinking it was only passably bad at the start...but got progressively worse from second to second. Felt like 10 minutes in the end.

Can't say I'm shocked, though. It's like Nu metal had a baby with metalcore and a modern rapper feature + A LOT of digital processing and I'm quite sure this has been sped up in post production.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Ivan Drago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 6:10 am 

I always thought Dio's solo stuff was consistently good while never reaching the heights of his Sabbath years, although I guess my unpopular opinion is Strange Highways was his best, love that album

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 7:07 am 

Jophelerx wrote:

I agree with ALL of this. I would just add After All (The Dead) and TV Crimes among the classics you already stated.

Also, the angry side of Dio shown on Dehuamizer.... THAT is what is missing from The Devil You Know. Ronnie used his more (commonly used) melodic voice when his angry Dehumanizer voice would've fit the dark music so much better.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 7:17 am 

Also, the angry side of Dio shown on Dehuamizer.... THAT is what is missing from The Devil You Know. Ronnie used his more (commonly used) melodic voice when his angry Dehumanizer voice would've fit the dark music so much better.

That's exactly the opposite for me - TDYK works better because of Dio's big, mournful vocal lines... plenty of those, I do think are angry sounding enough at the same time, but I like the more expressive quality really overall.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 7:18 am 

Empyreal wrote:

That's exactly the opposite for me - TDYK works better because of Dio's big, mournful vocal lines... plenty of those, I do think are angry sounding enough at the same time, but I like the more expressive quality really overall.

Well I guess that explains why you're not too fond of Dehumanizer, lol.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 8:18 am 

Goose Lord wrote:
Dehumanizer is just not all that good. I genuinely think Time Machine is the best song there, and if that's your best song, well...

What are the other contenders for best song? Computer God? Too Late? It's just not that strong of an album, it's so strange and disjointed. It doesn't sound like they enjoyed making any of the songs, I'm not sure how else to describe it. Either way it's the worst Dio Sabbath album.

Disagree, sorry. Dehumanizer is in Sabbath's top 5, their heaviest and best work since Sabotage. Definitely the best Dio era album (not much in it mind you) and Iommi sounds more inspired on there than at practically any time since the early 80s. Computer God is a great song and the lyrics are downright prophetic.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 8:35 am 

That anger, coupled with some heavy-as-iron riffage, is what makes so "Strange Highways" and "Angry Machines" so potent and energetic. Raging albums that perfectly complement "Dehumanizer".

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 8:40 am 

SanPeron wrote:
If I suffered watching this atrocity, then you guys have to suffer with me. I don't know if this counts as an unpopular opinion, but this is the worst piece of shit that I have listened to in a long time and is a perfect argument for the decay of metal as a whole.

I sometimes feel that the board/forum doesn't represent what the general audience thinks of metal, this shit got half a million views in a couple of hours, and we never mentioned this wack-ass band not even once since I started to read the forum, and Iam glad it's that way.

Everyone owes Eddie Trunk a big fat blumpkin for making this guy super popular as a schaudenfraude effect. Radke needs a knee to the back of the head for 9 minutes.

Cosmic_Equilibrium wrote:
Goose Lord wrote:

Disagree, sorry. Dehumanizer is in Sabbath's top 5, their heaviest and best work since Sabotage. Definitely the best Dio era album (not much in it mind you) and Iommi sounds more inspired on there than at practically any time since the early 80s. Computer God is a great song and the lyrics are downright prophetic.

There's plenty of contenders for best song. Master Of Insanity, Buried Alive, (After All) The Dead. Dehumanizer is a classic and that needs to be gaslit into everyone from the Loudwires of the world.

Period

The greatest post in M-A history:

~Guest 21181 wrote:
The Legions of the Teabagged:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 9:15 am 

I haven't spun TDYK a lot but it needed a few speedier cuts from what I remember. I need to listen to it again.

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 10:08 am 

Rhett Forrester era Riot is every bit as good as the Guy Speranza and Tony Moore eras. It has a Southern rock and even glam feel and Forrester has a bit of a sneer but the songs and music are great.

Hardworlder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 10:27 am 

SanPeron wrote:

This is awful.

But it's not an argument for the "decay" of metal.

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 10:32 am 

Hardworlder wrote:
This is awful.

But it's not an argument for the "decay" of metal.

Quoted for truth. Metal is alive and well, and a nostalgia to some days of yore when metal had "mainstream relevancy" or whatever is longing to a fantasy world that never truly existed.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 10:36 am 

There's some people here who always talk about "the decay of metal" as if there haven't been literal dozens of amazing albums in the last year, and many just in the last 3-4 months alone.

Empyreal wrote:

Well I guess that explains why you're not too fond of Dehumanizer, lol.

There was just always something kind of cold about it that didn't really work for me.

On the contrary I think Heaven & Hell is a flawless album with no weak songs at all, all of them just straight kill.

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 10:43 am 

Imagine if the Coverdale/Page project was Dio/Page instead.....

Period

The greatest post in M-A history:

~Guest 21181 wrote:
The Legions of the Teabagged:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 11:53 am 

TDYK is great to me because it felt like they were actually trying something new, following up Dehumanizer but not repeating the formula. It was easy to imagine them getting at least one more great album from that lineup, which made Dio’s passing even sadder. There are things I like a lot about 13 but the cynicism behind it is always palpable and not in a particularly compelling way.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 227, 228, 229, 230, 231, 232  Next